Ordering ICs from China...?

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
2226cc

Ordering ICs from China...?

Post by 2226cc »

Sooo... what's the take on ordering ICs from China?

I put a RFQ on digchip.com for some ICs I can't seem to find in small orders. I don't have the cash to dump on 500 units when all I need is maybe 5 for a prototype.

Chip in question is the Infineon BTS7710GP.

However, here's my dilemna... alot of manufacturers have their ICs made in China, but at the same time there is alot of dodgey stuff happening out in China as well, such as this:

http://www.aeri.com/counterfeit-electro ... onents.asp
http://www.aeri.com/chinese-counterfeit-parts.asp

Anyone gone this route and had issues?

Pricing is normal ballpark, similar to per unit price from the likes of Farnell, etc. Difference is they will selling small quantities.

The responses I have received are from the following companies:

ic-phoenix.com
kringic.com (2 responses)
allnewsemi.com

Heard of any of these?

magician13134

Re: Ordering ICs from China...?

Post by magician13134 »

I have the same issue, a few sites sold the chip I needed (STA013) for $14 or so (for 100+), but I found a dealer in China that got it to me for $6 each (in prototype quantities, too!). The downside is going to be shipping time, customer support, and maybe MAYBE quality. I would say go for it, I've never received any microchip that isn't what it claims to be. Otherwise, you could always try eBay, I didn't see any on there now, but it never hurts to check occasionally, sometimes you'll stumble upon a gem.

2226cc

Re: Ordering ICs from China...?

Post by 2226cc »

Thank you. :) Do you have the details for the company you dealt with? Would be nice to have this on hand should I need a helpful source.

I found the older version of the Infineon IC I was after through a company in the USA. Found it through www.eem.com thanks to a helpful soul at AERI.com.

But then I went and changed my mind about using it, so last night I just ordered a similarly spec'd device (actually, it's more of a complete solution) from TI as samples. Still waiting to find out if they'll fill the order.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”