Photo Resist PCB Instructable

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
incoherent

Photo Resist PCB Instructable

Post by incoherent »

I just posted my entry (Killer PCBs) for the Epilog Challenge contest on Instructables. I've had plenty of time to work on it since I lost my job in January. Not that I'd stoop to begging you to vote for my instructable for my own selfish needs, but my six children would be ever so grateful if you'd vote for me!

Thanks,
Incoherent
Last edited by incoherent on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magician13134

Re: Vote for my Instructable (Please)

Post by magician13134 »

I'm not going to vote for it because you asked me to, but I will vote for it because it's a great Instructable. You really covered all the bases there (and the acids too! Wow, lame joke ;))

incoherent

Post by incoherent »

Hey magician13134, thanks for the vote!

What's the best way to get in front of ladyada?

She's spent a lot of time blogging on solder stencils, I thought she might be interested in my soda can method--at least on behalf of those of us without laser cutters!

Thanks again,
--incoherent

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I've never seen anything quite like that method done before, I'm kind of surprised it works, but I may have to try it sometime. What's the resolution like? Do the pads end up kind of blobby or do they maintain their shapes nicely? Also, I could only see where to rate it (1-5 stars) not where to vote, do you know where that is.

To get onto Ladyada's blog/reference site, you really would just need to catch her interest, if it's a useful tutorial, she'll probably put it up. I think she'd be more likely to read the thread if it was a plea for votes right from the title ;)

incoherent

Post by incoherent »

magician13134 wrote:What's the resolution like? Do the pads end up kind of blobby or do they maintain their shapes nicely?
It's got great resolution--I regularly get well below 5 mil--of course really hair-thin webs won't take much abuse. If you're willing to stick with the 5 mil thickness you can keep the resolution, but my solder paste is too thick with 5 mil--even at at 2 mil, really. Of course, I've been using the cheap Dealextreme paste, not Kester--I need to get some of that stuff. If you want to get back to ~2 mil thickness, then you need to either sand or strip the resist off. Sanding is preferable here, as the resist stripper (NaOH) will attack the aluminum and kill the fine details in short order. I'm not a chemist, but a long time in warm-to-hot developer (NaCO3 or KCO3) may strip the exposed resist without attacking the aluminum. Also, the chemical resistance of aluminum is deceptive--the oxide coating is very hard and forms almost instantly, so a chemical may attack the oxide very slowly, but once it gets through the oxide, it's going to speed up a lot.
magician13134 wrote:Also, I could only see where to rate it (1-5 stars) not where to vote, do you know where that is.
To vote, you need to create an account and make sure you're logged in. The vote button appears at the top of the first page. You may have looked at it before it was officially accepted into the contest though, in which case the vote button wasn't present yet. I guess you're a bit of a night owl, too?
magician13134 wrote:To get onto Ladyada's blog/reference site, you really would just need to catch her interest, if it's a useful tutorial, she'll probably put it up. I think she'd be more likely to read the thread if it was a plea for votes right from the title ;)
Thanks for the advice, I'll try another post and see If I can catch Ladyada's attention.

Regards,
incoherent

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I would not post again, you can edit your first post and change the title there.
(Also, I went back and the vote link was right there, I must have looked too early before)

incoherent

Re: Photo Resist PCB Instructable

Post by incoherent »

magician13134,

Does that look any better?

Heck, I wouldn't know, I'm incoherent!

Regards,
incoherent

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”