Uno + CC3000 + RePaper + SRAM = WIN!

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pocketmoon

Uno + CC3000 + RePaper + SRAM = WIN!

Post by pocketmoon »

Just wanted to say...

I'm having SO MUCH FUN with an Arduino Uno + Adafruit CC3000 breakout board + Embedded Artists 2.7" Repaper Display!

Threw in a 23LC1024 (1Mbit SPI friendly SRAM chip ) to act as a display buffer and a 74HC573N (latch I had handy to sort out the naught CC3000 holding on to MISO when it shoudn't).

Now have an e-ink display updating every 5 minutes display tweets!

Perhaps some SRAM breakouts would make cool Adafruit products?

Rob J
UK

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Uno + CC3000 + RePaper + SRAM = WIN!

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Interesting suggestion. I'll pass it along to the hardware team.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We have some FRAM in the works, both SPI and I2C, which is pretty cool cuz its as fast as SRAM but lasts thru power cycles like EEPROM/FLASH! probably get them in the shop in a couple weeks

pocketmoon

Post by pocketmoon »

Excellent! I just love it when you folks get these cool non-DIP chips and make them available to us mortal breadboard hackers :)

ishback

Post by ishback »

pocketmoon wrote: Threw in a 23LC1024 (1Mbit SPI friendly SRAM chip ) to act as a display buffer and a 74HC573N (latch I had handy to sort out the naught CC3000 holding on to MISO when it shoudn't).
Hi pocketmoon, working on a project in which I need to dynamically update the screen (actually just a portion of the screen, but I think it's the same in terms of RAM requirements). Is there a schematic or diagram you could share to understand how to connect the components you mention above?

Thanks

pocketmoon

Post by pocketmoon »

Hi,

I'm in the process of transfering the project from breadboard to proto-board so have a layout in Fritzing I can share. I'll upload it later when I'm home. SPI RAM is very easy to add and get working - the 23LC1024 is perfect because it has a wide voltage range (works with 3.3 or 5v devices). I

If you're only doing partial updates then this code works on an UNO with no extra SRAM needed:

https://github.com/BANNED/gratis

It's a modification to the epaper libraries. It's an interesting workaround, splitting the screen into chunks where a chunk is as big as your memory will allow and then repeat the draw loop N-times (once for each chunk). It's inefficient but because updating the epaper display is slow anyway it's not a big deal.

Cheers,

Rob

pocketmoon

Post by pocketmoon »

First stab. I've yet to double check so caveat emptor!
cc1.jpg
cc1.jpg (842.86 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

shmorgan

Post by shmorgan »

I was just wondering, I don't see an oscillator on your diagram, are you using internal clocking on the AVR?

pocketmoon

Post by pocketmoon »

shmorgan wrote:I was just wondering, I don't see an oscillator on your diagram, are you using internal clocking on the AVR?
Yep, I followed the 'low power arduino' example here : http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11637

I followed the guide to stick the Lilypad bootloader in there using the latest Arduino IDE and a USBTinyISP. All setup nicely to run at 8mhz internal clock.

The plan is to run the whole lot of a single 18650 type li-ion battery 3.7v 3100mAh :)

In my test setup (Arduino UNO), when in deep sleep the things drawing most current are the LEDs!

agilbertson_marqeta

Post by agilbertson_marqeta »

pocketmoon wrote:Just wanted to say...

I'm having SO MUCH FUN with an Arduino Uno + Adafruit CC3000 breakout board + Embedded Artists 2.7" Repaper Display!

Threw in a 23LC1024 (1Mbit SPI friendly SRAM chip ) to act as a display buffer and a 74HC573N (latch I had handy to sort out the naught CC3000 holding on to MISO when it shoudn't).

Now have an e-ink display updating every 5 minutes display tweets!

Perhaps some SRAM breakouts would make cool Adafruit products?

Rob J
UK
Hi pocketmoon (and everyone else reading this)! The e-ink display is quite the miracle of modern technology, isn't it?

I'm trying to use the e-ink display (the little 1.44 inch version) connected to an Arduino Micro *without* having to have an external memory chip hooked up to it. I've got a "screenbuffer" created in memory, but when calling EPD.image(&screenbuffer[0]), I end up with garbage on the screen - both with the original RePaper library and your reworked version. I've written some test code to validate that what I think is there really is there, and even output it in a format that I can dump into a text file that I save with a .xbm extension and open in an image viewer. Everything there is not quite correct but close enough that I shouldn't be getting garbage on my screen. Any ideas on what else I need to do to get this working? Let me know if you want any additional details....I can post a link to the full sketch if that's what it takes.

Thanks,
Andy

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Your buffer will consume most of the available SRAM. The 1.44" RePaper display has a 128x96 array of pixels, and assuming one bit per pixel you're looking at 1536 bytes. That only leaves 512 bytes for all the remaining objects and variables in your program.

pocketmoon

Post by pocketmoon »

Hi Andy,

A smart dude did this :

https://github.com/BANNED/gratis

Bit of a hack but uses a fraction of ram for display. It uses ,multiple passes to update the whole display so slower but that's not a big issue with these displays.

agilbertson_marqeta

Post by agilbertson_marqeta »

I know that a very smart dude did that. I'm the dummy here, and I need help. I replaced my existing EPD library with that one. Now I get this on my e-ink display:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sLce ... 162328.jpg
(Sorry for the giant image, Picasa used to let you link to resized pictures but Google Photos apparently doesn't, so I just put a link instead of the image itself.)

when I am expecting this:

(like I said..."not quite correct" but hopefully you can figure out what I was intending before the headache gets too bad).

Any ideas what's going on?

adafruit_support_mike: I already ran into an issue with that; I'm working around it (as much as possible) by declaring everything I can as PROGMEM const. Turns out you can upload sketchs to the Micro in such a way that unplugging/replugging the Micro into a Linux Mint machine's USB port results in a kernel panic. Fun!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”