PowerBoost 500 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 50

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
marinahanna

PowerBoost 500 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 50

Post by marinahanna »

Hi,

I am currently using a Raspberry Pi (Model B) with the PiTFT - Assembled 320x240 2.8" TFT+Touchscreen. I am also connecting an Arduino the raspberry pi. To power this all up, I'm using an Li-ion that is designed to supply 5V, 1A to the raspberry pi. I think what's happening is that perhaps this is not enough to supply all these elements properly and I am getting fluctuating results from the program I'm running that I believe is due to a battery issue.

For that reason, I'm looking into the PowerBoost 500 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 500mA+, which says it can supply up to 5.2 V. I am wondering, how steady is this voltage? Does it continuously supply 5.2V even if the battery is not fully charged? How does that work?

Let me know if you would need me to clarify any part of this. I am also wondering if I need some sort of voltage regulator in order to ensure that all my elements are receiving a steady 5V?

Thanks!

Marina

Franklin97355

Re: PowerBoost 500 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost

Post by Franklin97355 »

Is this just a test message?

marinahanna

Post by marinahanna »

What? No. I'm just wondering how the 5.2 V is sustained. I wanted to explain the set up to see if this was the right part to buy, but I'm mostly interested in how this power boost works in supply a raspberry pi connected to the touchscreen and arduino.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

This is the Test Message Forum, provided so new members can get familiar with the forum's posting system. It's one of the last places we look for technical questions.

The PowerBoost uses a switching regulator that can operate at input voltages down to 1.8v. The regulator watches the output voltage and adjusts the boost circuit to keep the output at the selected level. All of a LiPo's working output range falls within the range of voltages the boost regulator can use.

marinahanna

Post by marinahanna »

Hi, I'm sorry about posting this in the Test Message Forum. I hadn't realized that and will be more careful to post it in the correct section in the future.
Also, thank you for answering my question. That resolved the question I had and I will be purchasing this product.

Thanks again for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”