Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Product suggestion -- TTL <--> RS-232 level converter board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Product suggestion -- TTL <--> RS-232 level converter board

by tastewar on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:32 am

If there's a better way to communicate a product suggestion, please let me know. And I'm sure that Adafruit have plenty of product ideas, without me butting my fat head in, but here goes.

I came across a little board that productizes a MAX3232 chip. Mounts it on a board, along with the requisite caps. But it's *not* very neat, nor (more importantly!) is it breadboard friendly!

OTOH, it is quite inexpensive. But I'd gladly pay a premium for a similar board of Adafruit quality :-)
tastewar

Re: Product suggestion -- TTL <--> RS-232 level converter board

by adafruit on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Thing is, very little stuff uses +-12V RS-232, what were you thinking that would use it?

adafruit

by tastewar on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Certainly, it would be a niche product, but for interfacing Arduino, etc., to older "stuff" it's sometimes necessary. My specific purpose is to interface a Raspberry Pi to a BetaBrite sign. I've done Arduino to them, and have used 5V hardware, but what I've read about the Pi serial ports suggests they're 3.3V, so my (small, but non-zero) supply of 5V chips would be useless. That got me looking for other solutions, and I think the board I found is just the right thing, except for the shortcomings I pointed out.

I'm sure that there isn't much new stuff that uses 12V serial, but there is a whole host of existing gear that uses it.

Anyway, thanks for responding & thinking about it!
tastewar

by adafruit on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

OK we will consider it!

adafruit