Problem with servos from Make: robot hack kit

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crazylefty

Problem with servos from Make: robot hack kit

Post by crazylefty »

Hi,
The four servos that were sent from adafruit along with the Make: robot hacks pack don't seem to be working.
I assembled the shield, uploaded the test sketch to my Uno, mounted the shield, connected 5V, and started connecting servos. I was really excited to try the analog feedback servos, so I connected two of those first. Both of these weren't working, one was completely dead, no movement, no noise, the other started grinding immediately after plugging it in. I removed the lower lid, removed the top, re-connected it, and the motor just spins continuously, even when not being sent a command.
I then unboxed the two servos included in the Make: kit, and these worked fine. The servos do their 180 degree movement with no issues.
I then connected the remaining two analog feedback servos, and got nearly identical results. I have one that vibrates even when not being sent a command, the other makes no sound or movement. there is definitely a 'burned electronics' smell coming from each of the servos. The shield is only getting 5v, the other two servos are working fine, it just seems to be a problem with the analog feedback motors. I double checked the site, they are listed as rated for up to 6v, so not sure why they would have that dead electronics smell. I would guess voltage that I'm supplying to the PWM board, but the other servos are working just fine.
Anything we can do about this? I appreciate any help! Thanks

Matt

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Problem with servos from Make: robot hack kit

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Disconnect the power, then post a photo of how you have things connected, please. It would be extremely odd to get four bad servos in a batch.

crazylefty

Re: Problem with servos from Make: robot hack kit

Post by crazylefty »

Is it possible that the PWM shield could have caused this?
It drives the two other servos just fine, but maybe they are less picky about power?
The shield drives the other two just fine.
The power supply is putting out 5V
I'll upload a pic, but that won't be til I get home tonight
I agree that four bad servos sounds strange, that's why i'm thinking maybe its the shield? But it drives the other two included servos just fine.
I will update when I can

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”