RA8875 Solder

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dvsjw

RA8875 Solder

Post by dvsjw »

I just received my order from Adafruit and was reviewing the parts for issues. Upon inspection of the RA8875 for the TFT I noticed a pair of bridged pins. (IICA0 and IICA1) With further inspection I found a large quantity of solder balls stuck in the protective lacquer coating. This was the most pronounced near the zif connector. Before powering the unit I wanted to be sure that this would not cause the board to fail or damage my TFT. As you know once you let the smoke out you cant get it back... Is it safe to use?

I have always been impressed with what you do at Adafruit and wanted to bring this to you to help address quality control.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here are two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dduba/11300282965/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dduba/11300380433/

adafruit_support_bill

Re: RA8875 Solder

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

IICA0 and IICA1 are address select pins and may just be tied to the same level. I will confirm this with the design team & let them know about the solder-spatter.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

That is a bridged connection on the PCB, there's no mask between the pads so it looks like a solder bridge - it must be there to make the SPI interface work so do not try to 'fix' it!
The board is tested and should not damage any TFT as long as the TFT has the correct pinout - all the 40pin TFTs in the adafruit shop work.

dvsjw

Post by dvsjw »

Thanks, I set it up and it works fine...

I did go through and remove the splatter just to be sure none fell into the circuit later.

dvsjw

Post by dvsjw »

I programmed it with an Arduino UNO, calibrated the touch screen and then left it running overnight... Now it will not work. it will light the back light for a quick flash then go dark and is unresponsive. I am guessing the buck boost is not right or burned out. Any recommendations?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Which display did you have it connected to? Post some photos showing your soldering and connections.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”