about to give up

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RogerQ

about to give up

Post by RogerQ »

My son and I have been trying to make a go of a number of projects from Adafruit. With that said, very few have gone well . He is far better at them than I am but he just unplugged everything in frustration and gave maybe not returning to any of the projects. the forum are not easy to understand or don't send us in the right direction, And take time to get a response. Some of the Questions we ask may seem simple to you but not to us , like, Avrdude: Error Could not find USBtinydevice. should be an easy question to fix. is there any other information or tutorial out there?

egutting

Re: about to give up

Post by egutting »

RogerQ, are you speaking about the issue with the gemma and getting it to work? If so, you might try looking into some of the trinket posts. Also the Trinket FAQ might have some useful info as well:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/faq

I might not be able to help a ton as I don't have any experience with the Gemma, but I do have a bit with the trinket and did have some issues getting it going for the first time.

RogerQ

Post by RogerQ »

canI get in touch with someone that knows aboutKaleidoscope Eyes

egutting

Post by egutting »

You might try to post a question about it specifically in the Trinket forum or general project help. The latter forum gets the most looks I believe.

RogerQ

Post by RogerQ »

Here we go again!!!!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

canI get in touch with someone that knows aboutKaleidoscope Eyes
Hi RogerQ - Pburgess is the author of Kaleidoscope Eyes and he follows the "Glowy Things" forum pretty closely. I recommend that you post your question there. The more detail you can provide, the better we can help you solve the problem.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Here we go again!!!!
Yes, here we go again with help on getting a better response which seems like your current complaint. If you post in the forum that is discussing the devices you are trying to use you will find more people that can help will read them. Not everyone reads the General/Administrative forums and not everybody reading that forum is a technician.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I'd suggest stepping back and starting with the basics. Can you get the 'blink' sketch working on the bare Trinket (or Gemma) board? (No NeoPixels connected.) If so, move on to a simple NeoPixel demo (like the strandtest example), see where that gets you.

If even 'blink' is causing trouble, we can try to work through this. Understand that the microcontroller on the Trinket wasn't really designed to do USB...some rules have been bent, and as a result it does tend to be fussy. Here are a few tips:

1. If you're using a recent computer (anything with USB 3), try connecting the Trinket through a USB 2 hub. Something about USB 3 seems to exacerbate the fussiness on some systems.
2. Or, if you're already using a hub, try resetting it (disconnect the cable to the computer and also the power plug, if using one, then reconnect everything). I'm using a powered hub and it does sometimes get 'weird' after a week or two...resetting like this sometimes clears things up.
3. Try a different USB cable, if you have one. I've found that some can be pretty marginal (especially the retractable kind).
4. Sometimes it just takes a few tries to get the timing right when uploading code to the board...when to press the reset button and the 'upload' icon in the IDE. Do you get the 'breathing' LED when first connecting the USB cable? And when pressing reset?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Oh, also, make sure you're following all the steps in this part of the Trinket guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

Just today I was experiencing problems similar to yours, but an older version of the Arduino IDE that I'd kept around was working fine. Problem was that I'd forgotten to make those changes (avrdude.conf and ld) in the 1.0.5 IDE; I'd get the Trinket/Gemma options in the boards menu (because those files are shared across versions), but it would then fail to upload.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”