Adafruit business expansion

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
borgborg

Adafruit business expansion

Post by borgborg »

I have an Idea for you. I was searching for an Adafruit outlet near me. I found The Mill witch after further investigation was out of business. There is a Maker group here - The Hacker group but I don't see any connection to AdaFruit.

I thought with your infinite wisdom and abilities you could make an Adafruit vending machine. Complete with credit card reader. Make this available to all maker clubs. A mini warehouse with hundreds of small parts. I see a main controlling master vending machine and if sales warrent a group of slave dispensers. I dont even see this limited to microcumputer parts. Imagine wood , fabric, plastic glass parts - dowels, bocks and laser cutable materials like wood venear, metals and plastic etc. The list of possible items seem endless All you really have to stock is a few of any one item and see what demand you have. Kind of Like a red box machine. I see glass fusion parts, jewelry parts any kind of fabrication parts.

Just an Idea. I have no money to impliment this myself but maybe you do! Get a local vender that fills the machine weekly and your in business! Can't help but boost sales!

Build a box that costs you a $1000 (spend time designing the right box ie. WIFi - Internet connection to Customers wish list etc. A perfect stepper motor based inventory system), you would have limited overhead. Sell the idea to maker groups as a draw to getting paying members. Win Win.

Thank you
Larry Kaufhold

PS: Dont forget to include pre-lactated sugar coated cereal in your machine!

adafruit

Re: Adafruit business expansion

Post by adafruit »

thanks for the post and thinking of us! so far we've teamed up local hackerspaces, they can apply and stock products with up to a 40% discount:
https://www.adafruit.com/distributors

we've thought about a vending machine (a hacker space in ny has one) - but we'd need to service it well and often. we'll continue to think about this :)

cheers!
adafruit support

borgborg

Post by borgborg »

Once again - There ain't anyone near Minnesota! $40% off would be nice but how do I get there? I would be willing to pay retail vending prices. "O No", if I sell something for a profit, I have to fill the machine to make more profit??? What?

Don't sell yourself short. You sell it to the hacker communities as a benefit. By you having our vending machine - you will increase membership ( BECAUSE USE WE HAVE WHAT YOU NEED WHEN YOU NEED IT) - lowering membership costs. Every member would like this. You keep the %40 discount as overhead costs. Big difference in economics.

You could open a store in the Mall of America and pay $800 per sq inch but free rent and electricity at a maker lab sounds better!

LRK

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Once again - There ain't anyone near Minnesota!
How about these guys? http://www.mnmill.org/

borgborg

Post by borgborg »

The first line on the website is "The Mill is closing" This site is two years old.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”