Leads soldered on wrong end on my RGB LED Weatherproof Strip

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
badxhabit

Leads soldered on wrong end on my RGB LED Weatherproof Strip

Post by badxhabit »

I ordered a RGB LED Weatherproof Strip from you
guys last week (My order # is: 517812).

I have been spending countless hours over the past few days trying to get my
strip to work until I broke down and looked online for more resources and
found out that THE LEADS ON MY RGB LED Strip HAVE BEEN SOLDERED ON THE WRONG
END!

I am totally bummed out and disappointed on so many levels. Please help!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Leads soldered on wrong end on my RGB LED Weatherproof S

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You didn't specify which RGB LED strip you ordered, but I'm assuming they are neopixels, and that they came from the end of The reel. These are cut from 5 meter reels, so leads are not always on the input side. This is described in the product description:
As of May 20, 2014 these come in 5 meter reels with a 2 or 3-pin JST SM connector on each end and separated power/ground wires. These strips are sold by the meter! If you buy 5 meters at a time, you'll get full reels with two connectors. If you buy less than 5m, you'll get a single strip, but it will be a cut piece from a reel which may or may not have a connector on it.
To tell which end is the input, you have to look at the strip itself as described in the guide:
Identify the “input” end of your NeoPixel strip, pixel(s) or other device. On some, there will be a solder pad labeled “DIN” or “DI” (data input). Others will have an arrow showing the direction that data moves.

badxhabit

Post by badxhabit »

Yes, I read this. That is how I figured out it was soldered on the wrong end. So what do I do now?

adafruit_support_bill

Have you made new connections to the input end? If you have not reversed the voltage on them, they should still work.

badxhabit

Post by badxhabit »

Ya, they do; but I didn't pay to have the leads soldered on the wrong side. I wanted to wrap the lead ends together and avoid soldering during development.

I just want what I paid for, a working RGB LED Weatherproof Strip, where I can just wrap the wires around each other and no ugly, useless wires hanging off the other end! Why is this such an obstacle to get my item RMA'd? I just want the correct product and move on with my life!!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I just want what I paid for, a working RGB LED Weatherproof Strip, where I can just wrap the wires around each other and no ugly, useless wires hanging off the other end!
If you cut the wires off you will have what you paid for (and some extra wire to use on another project) If you want to return the strip for a refund I'm sure that can be arranged.
To wire up these strips we suggest picking up some JST SM plug and receptacle cables. You'll want one of each, one wire is for ground the other is for signal. For the power wire, you will also probably want a 2.1mm DC jack to wire in so you can connect one of our wall adapters to power it.

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a refund.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”