Order 548244-5259088820 Damaged screen.

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit2

Re: Order 548244-5259088820 Damaged screen.

Post by adafruit2 »

Yah plz keep unplugged for now :)

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OKAY! much debugging later it looks like the little adapter plate changed, it connects to the "+12V" (DC in) pin which is too high for the LED backlight. The good news is that even if the backlight overheats, it may be just fine and not need full replacement. We'll go thru and fix our stock and future stock but right now here is how you can fix it

Option #1 - use only 5 or 6 VDC wall adapter - 9V is also a bit high. If you need a refund on your 12V adapter (purchased from adafruit), email support@adafruit

Option #2 - grab your soldering iron and cut the ON wire from the JST connector and resolder it to pins #1 and 32 of the adapter plate. We did this to a sample, see attached pic and it works with 5-9VDC but does not work nicely with 12VDC (there's flickering) - it doesn't damage the display it just doesn't display video nicely.

Option #3 - email support@adafruit and request a return label & refund for the whole kit
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG (625.96 KiB) Viewed 241 times
We'll figure out what changed with the adapter plate and get new ones made/repaired.

jjkinternational

Post by jjkinternational »

Thanks for the info and investigating.

Both of the screens have been damaged from the 12v power supply. The second screen also has the top screen damage now as the first. So

Option 1: with the screen is also out as the display itself is damaged
Option 2: with the screen is also out as the display itself is damaged
Option 3: ...

From my perspective, I just want a working version of this screen however you wish to do that. If you want items returned thats no problem, but I would like a working screen with a proper power adapter from you. I'm not electrical savvy, the only reason I picked the 12v (most expensive recommended adapter) as I didn't want to be cheap over a couple bucks as the 12v was touted as a superior adapter.

So please let me know how to proceed to end up with a non burnt display and a proper voltage power supply that you can supply.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

jjkinternational wrote:Thanks for the info and investigating.

Both of the screens have been damaged from the 12v power supply. The second screen also has the top screen damage now as the first. So

Option 1: with the screen is also out as the display itself is damaged
Option 2: with the screen is also out as the display itself is damaged
Option 3: ...

From my perspective, I just want a working version of this screen however you wish to do that. If you want items returned thats no problem, but I would like a working screen with a proper power adapter from you. I'm not electrical savvy, the only reason I picked the 12v (most expensive recommended adapter) as I didn't want to be cheap over a couple bucks as the 12v was touted as a superior adapter.

So please let me know how to proceed to end up with a non burnt display and a proper voltage power supply that you can supply.
right now we are out of stock, so you can email support@adafruit for a refund - sign up on the page for an update when we'll have more! at that time, you'll need to also get a 9V adapter. thx!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”