Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidl13

Post by davidl13 »

I may have to turn in my "geek card" after this but I can't figure out how to add an avatar picture to my profile. There's a "GRAVATAR EMAIL" on my profile page but I've never even heard of a "GRAVATAR" and I sure didn't know they had email!

lil' hep, please!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Avatar/Gravatar howto?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Gravatar is a one-stop avatar server. You have to go there and sign up. The email address is the one you use to sign up with gravatar.

davidl13

Post by davidl13 »

Ah! Thanks very much.

DDavis2404

Post by DDavis2404 »

I'm still a bit lost. when i click on "my account" my GRAVATAR EMAIL box is blank, i dont know what the name is. Also on the become reseller page it ask for a Adafruit.com account email address. please enlighten me.

davidl13

Post by davidl13 »

Maybe I can help with this with a description of how I bumbled through it. First, go here: http://en.gravatar.com/
...and click on the "Create Your Own Gravatar" box. If you already have a BANNED account you can use that account to get started. Otherwise, you get to wander through setting up a BANNED account. Ultimately you get to a point where you upload a picture or image to be associated with the email address you enter to create your account. This picture/image is your Globally Recognized Avatar (GRAVATAR) associated with an email address.

WooHoo FUN!

I hope this helps...

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

So let me get this straight..

Step one, Set up your Adafruit account.
Step two, Set up a Gravatar account.
Step three, Set up a BANNED account.
Step four, Add an avatar through BANNED on that Gravatar account
Step five, Come back here and enter the email address associated with your Gravatar account?

Come on guys, you're engineers. Why can't we just upload an image?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Gravatar is owned by BANNED, now, so managing your Gravatar means having a BANNED.com account.

Most users should not have to enter a second email for a Gravatar. Instead, they can set the Gravatar for their primary Adafruit account email. The "Gravatar Email" field in accounts is there as a convenience for people who would prefer to use the Gravatar for an existing email address.

So this boils down to:

Set up your Adafruit account.
Set up your Gravatar account (includes creating a BANNED.com account if you don't already have one).
Upload an avatar to the email you use for your Adafruit account.

It's only one extra user step beyond "Why can't we just upload an image?" to make an avatar work on any of the many, many sites that support Gravatar, including all of Adafruit.

Gravatar certainly has tradeoffs. Not everyone already has a Gravatar or is cool with having a BANNED.com account. Conversely, it can be a lot of work to allow uploads because we'd essentially be re-implementing Gravatar for the Adafruit constellation of websites.

Thanks!
Adafruit Support

steverobey

Post by steverobey »

I can think of plenty of solutions to this problem (yes, I see this as a problem) that won't be directing your potential customers and patrons away from your web site. My point here is that the people signing up as members of your forum are doing so because we like this company and we want to participate. Don't send us away for something so simple. It's bad for business. I'm prepared to offer my expertise and support to others on this forum and I don't ask anything in return. What I'm not going to do is leave for something as simple as a JPEG.

That's all I had to say and I apologize if I seem rude but I feel like I have a good point here. You can have your soap box back now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”