rpi camera module doa

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
daliaga

rpi camera module doa

Post by daliaga »

Hi, I received my camera module this week and when I tried it with the rpi b+ it reported the following error:

mmal: Received unexpected camera control callback event, 0x4f525245

I handled it properly (read instructions and kept it shielded from static interferences).

I have another camera module that works like a charm with the same rpi, sd card and configuration.

I googled the error that I'm receiving and it seems that it is a defective module.

what should I do?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: rpi camera module doa

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Actually, that's a timeout code.

It means the RasPi couldn't communicate with the camera through the direct-memory channel and a timer shut down the connection, which can happen when the camera module fails, but can also be caused by a marginal cable connection.

Re-seat both ends of the flex cable, and disconnect/reconnect the fine-pitch connector that links the camera to its PCB (the little Kapton tab). See if that does any good.

doug_wyman

Post by doug_wyman »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Actually, that's a timeout code.

It means the RasPi couldn't communicate with the camera through the direct-memory channel and a timer shut down the connection, which can happen when the camera module fails, but can also be caused by a marginal cable connection.

Re-seat both ends of the flex cable, and disconnect/reconnect the fine-pitch connector that links the camera to its PCB (the little Kapton tab). See if that does any good.
If the RasPi can't communicate with the camera, where does it derive all of the camera parameters shown?

adafruit_support_mike

The only parameter you've posted is the memory address of the function that timed out. Does reseating the connectors make any difference?

doug_wyman

Post by doug_wyman »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The only parameter you've posted is the memory address of the function that timed out. Does reseating the connectors make any difference?
I replied last night but it must have landed in the bit bucket. Mea Culpa on my comment. I had reseated the connector many times but thinking of your comment, I examined the ribbon closely and found a bit of foil folded back. I used a fingernail and straightened it and the camera works. i.e you were right. As you can see, I have a new ribbon on order. Thank you for the help and patience.

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. I think that's the first time I've ever heard of a flex cable with loose foil, but that would do it.

I'm glad to hear you found the problem, and will let the rest of the support team know that can happen. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”