How many posts do I need to stop proving I'm human?

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Funman1

How many posts do I need to stop proving I'm human?

Post by Funman1 »

So I was hoping when I finally made 50 posts the ever so annoying (but cute and cool) resistor "prove your human" and not a spammer is getting old with each post I make or edit...
How much longer till I get the green light I'm not a spammer? :)
Thanks..

adafruit_support_bill

Re: How many posts do I need to stop proving I'm human?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good question. Given the traffic at this site, we are understandably a prime target for both spam-bots and human spammers, so our spam defenses are at a pretty high level. I'll check with our web folks.

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

Awesome thanks..
I totally understand why it's there, but just hoping I can break through eventually and be on the safe side :)
Let me know what it takes when you find out :)
~Steve~

paulf8080

Post by paulf8080 »

It is not the user name because I sometimes get through. I'm guessing it's triggered by a typical spammer word, like link or attachment.

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

I have this same problem also with some of my threads. I reply to a thread, and then POW I have to go through the resistor setting rigmarole to prove I'm human. I suspect the code behind that is wrong, too, because many times I am sure I set the resistor color code sliders correctly, and still I am told I am wrong. That stupid "prove you are human" thing has several flaws: it requires using a lot of sliders, it is likely to be impossible for low-vision or blind individuals to use, it wastes my time, and I believe the code itself is flawed because it often insists I got the sliders wrong. It seems to "trigger" if I want to "preview" my post before I "submit" it.

And here is the hugest flaw of all: it really is not the way a paying customer ought to be treated. I'm a paying customer.

Thanks

Bob

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

In most forums I'm on or moderate after your first 20 to 50 posts then the systems kind of give you a green light.
I understand the newbie penalty box where you have to jump through hoops when you first start out to reduce spam.
But after a bit it should release you into the wild.. :)

I also have thought I got them right and was told I was wrong, HOWEVER, I have also noticed that the sliders don't have fixed center points, it allows you to place slider in between colors so sometimes when I'm in a hurry I will slide it a hair too far down and it then shows the next color even though it's mostly on blue or whatever the slider dot will change to the next color.

Trust me BC the need to prove you're human is a MUST when you run ANY internet forums. I really like this way of doing it too, I just wish it would go away after x many posts for the heavy/power posters.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Our link-spam filter looks at several different things when deciding whether to issue a captcha or not.

One of the big parameters (and probably one that's causing the nuisance for you) is the IP address block. Spammers are notorious for address-hopping, but can only move between addresses their upstream provider supports. If you happen to have an IP address in a block that's been associated with link-spam activity, it adds weight to the "trust but verify" score.

The default parameters don't include previous successful posts, but our web team is checking to see what it will take to build that into the logic chain as an automatic cut-out.

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

That would be awesome!!!
Thanks you guys for looking into this for us :)

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

I would certainly appreciate and end to the "prove you are human" stuff. I am grateful that you are looking into it.

Thanks

Bob

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

Not sure if it's just luck or if you guys fixed it but I haven't had to solve a resistor in days!!
THANKS a TON!!!
Love you guys (and gals) over there.. Keep up the awesome work, You've made me a customer for life!!!
~Steve~

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

I too have not seen the resistor page lately. I hope this is a sign of improvement. Like Steve, I would like to extend my grateful thanks.

Bob

gtj

Post by gtj »

I'm also getting tired of proving I'm a human. I've been helping one guy with a gps issue and it's getting kinda old having to do the resistor thing every time.

EDIT: HA!. This is the first post I didn't need to prove my humanity!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”