Please add a caution message to the learning system

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Disciple

Please add a caution message to the learning system

Post by Disciple »

I'm referring to the tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/ray-gun-blaster. In all the coolness of printing and wiring a printed toy ray gun then sending the kids outside to have fun with it, one can forget the danger, but it's real. A pistol-shaped toy with a targeting laser can easily make a misunderstanding escalate, as military and law enforcement personnel can attest. In high-stress scenarios when events move too quickly, it's not always obvious what's a toy and what isn't. Please help readers stay mindful of this by including a word of caution, as you do regarding voltages and sharp tools and Li-ion batteries, even if it spares just one guest from an unpleasant encounter. Thank you.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Please add a caution message to the learning system

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's outside our realm of authority.

We provide warnings for technical or technological issues that are a common knowledge among EEs but not among the general public, especially in situations where something that might seem attractive (putting LiPos in parallel to increase current capacity) presents a non-obvious hazard.

Sociopolitical issues are outside our control, and vary widely enough that the information we have may or may not be relevant to people in other locations. I live in the woods 25 minutes away from the nearest first responders, and a pack of 30-40 coyotes gather in the draw a hundred yards from my front door every night. I don't have the knowledge or authority to tell people how to behave responsibly in downtown NYC, and vice versa.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Sharing a helpful word of caution doesn't require authority. A child is qualified to do it.
"As with all toy BANNED, please exercise care when using it in public." There's nothing political about a simple statement like that. It also doesn't dictate how anyone should live their life. Anyone can choose to disregard it.

If a legal department forbids such language because of some litigious reason or other, then I must defer to their expertise, but I believe that a gentle reminder is an ethical and responsible thing to include in this case. That's my point. Thank you for reading.

Edited to add: The last part of the warning on page 1 of https://learn.adafruit.com/han-solo-blaster-cosplay says it well. That's what I'm advocating, a message like that.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Along a similar line in the blog, since the site is presented as a web-safe space, and carries family-oriented content, and recommends a list of webcomics, entries like https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/01/06/ad ... j_baldwin/ where the comic bears a significant amount of profanity, adding a word of warning is appropriate. It's the excellent thing to do...please? Thank you.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”