The TFT ate my Pi?

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chris_losee

The TFT ate my Pi?

Post by chris_losee »

A few months ago I had a problem with a Pi I bought from you: It died a few weeks after purchase. The thread I used to report the issue is here:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p338831)

Essentially, what happened is that after using it a few times successfully with the PiTFT, the Pi stopped working--with our without the TFT display screen attached, and even with a known good "NOOBS" micro SD card instead of the PiTFT system.

After a little back-and-forth, Adafruit sent me a new pi. I put aside the TFT project for a few months, and just recently returned to it. Guess what? After a few uses, the new Pi died too! For the record, the Pi board was protected in the bottom half of a plastic case with the TFT screen on top, powered with a good-quality 5v, 2A supply, & connected to a powered USB hub.

The problem is pretty much exactly the same as last time; I summarize from the previous thread:

...it worked perfectly for three weeks... Then one day, it seemed to get hot--and died.

I tested it as follows:
1) as is: Green "act" led lights immediately, doesn't blink... Touchscreen glows (sometimes solid, sometimes flashing), but no bootup, no output to touchscreen or HDMI. After about a minute, Samsung chip is hot to the touch; I disconnect it.
2) same B+ board, but with working "noobs" disk image on different micro SD card, HDMI output, no touchscreen: same result (dead)...

Last time, I then tested the PiTFT on another Pi, and it worked. But this time I'm afraid to do that--because I think it may be the TFT, not the Pi, that's bad.

Not sure what to do at this point. Is there a known issue? Any way to test the TFT screen without killing another Pi -- or to have you test it? And would it be appropriate to ask you to replace the PiTFT and/or the Pi if it tests bad?

Thanks in advance for your response
--Chris Losee

adafruit2

Re: The TFT ate my Pi?

Post by adafruit2 »

thats...kinda odd. while im not ready to blame any particular piece lets just replace both pi and pitft - email [email protected]. put the possibly-bad ones in quarentine? :)

chris_losee

Re: The TFT ate my Pi?

Post by chris_losee »

I agree -- it's really odd. So I suppose that there's no known issue...
I will certainly put the TFT in "deep quarantine" (the Pi, I fear, is beyond that), and I'll email support.
Thanks for your prompt reply and your assistance!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”