Return Product

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
OnyxIbex

Return Product

Post by OnyxIbex »

I ordered an Edison w/ Mini Breakout Board recently (order #832211-2853876156) and it worked fine for the first 2 days but the next day wouldn't even turn on. I have tried powering via 12VDC wall source, 1S LiPo, or through USB (all of which worked when I tried them the first day). I can rule out plugging in power backwards (reverse polarity) because my connector has been polarized as shown in the picture. It has 5 wires soldered onto the breakout (GND, 3.3V, 1.8V, SDA, and SCL) and I am positive that they did not short to the edison nor on the breakout. As for software, I haven't tried much yet beyond the basics in the Intel tutorial.

I haven't been able to determine if it is the breakout that is bad or if the Edison itself has been blown. Is it possible to return these for a replacement?

Franklin97355

Re: Return Product

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try re-flowing the solder joints as they seem to not have made good contact. Take a look at this Soldering Guide

OnyxIbex

Post by OnyxIbex »

The soldering joints have all been removed and cleaned off now and yield the same results. The soldered lines were not providing power to the board but rather they were being used for I2C communication (which was working ok).

*EDIT: Unless you mean to reflow the fine-pitch parts on the board. If you have a suggestion for culprit traces let me know and I can take a look at them. They all look fine under microscope. I didn't want to start re-soldering the fine-pitch parts for obvious warranty issues.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

No, I meant the through hole connections.

OnyxIbex

Post by OnyxIbex »

Then yes, I removed them and wicked off the solder. Still no power getting through.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

well, honestly i have no idea what it could be, so we can try replacing it. email support@adafruit for a new one
and be careful! :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”