Travelling on planes with wearables

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dboat

Travelling on planes with wearables

Post by dboat »

Does anyone have any advice regarding flying with wearable LED projects. I've just made a jacket covered in neopixels which is essentially a jacket full of internal and external wiring with a switch, a battery and a computer chip in it. To the untrained eye at airport security or customs it could appear to be a security threat. I would hate to lose it for this reason. I will probably have no issues but does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this?

Is it best to take it as carry on or check in?

Any useful comments or experiences appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
jacket.jpg
jacket.jpg (140.71 KiB) Viewed 410 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Travelling on planes with wearables

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you take it carry-on, be prepared to be inspected and answer questions. If you decide to check it, be sure to disconnect the batteries and tape over the connectors so that they can't short-out in flight. I usually take the batteries in my carry-on so it is easier for them to be inspected. If you are using LiPo cells to power your project, be sure to read the special regulations on those.

The TSA and most airlines have their current baggage regulations and policies published on-line. If you follow those, you should have no trouble.

On my last trip, I had a dozen 3500mAh battery packs (NiMH) and assorted electronics in my carry-on and a robot crate as my checked bag.

dboat

Post by dboat »

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to remove the LiPo cells and follow regulations regarding those.

It's more the look of the jacket when it gets scanned that concerns me - the wiring could make the jacket appear like a security threat.
If I check it there is the risk they will confiscate it as they misunderstand it's purpose or damage it when they inspect it.
If I take it as carry on I can explain to security officials the purpose of the wires but I risk them still not allowing it in the cabin of the plane.

I've contacted the TSA as well so I'll see what they advise. I'll post what they say and what happens in case it is of use to others.

adafruit_support_bill

If it is at all delicate, I would recommend carry-on so that you can be there as they inspect it. They may ask you to explain what it is. They will look for anything that might be dangerous. And they may swab it for traces of explosives.

If you have nothing sharp or explosive or otherwise banned from carry-on, you should have no problems.

LiPo's are considered hazardous and have their own regulations. Definitely check into that before you go. Small cells are usually OK (everybody's cell phone has one inside). I always disconnect them from the circuitry and tape over the connectors.

dboat

Post by dboat »

Good advice, thank you.

My only thought now is as there are lots of exposed solder joints, is there anything in solder that might trigger their test for explosives when taking it as carry on? I would expect not but I am unsure.

For the record British Airways advised checking it in. I am still waiting to hear back from the TSA.

adafruit_support_bill

Solder should not be a problem.

If you request it, you can be there when they inspect your checked bags also. But if you do that, be sure to get to the airport early allow extra time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”