Can I turn The MINIPOV into a Sound to Light Brain Machine?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FREAKwhenSEE

Can I turn The MINIPOV into a Sound to Light Brain Machine?

Post by FREAKwhenSEE »

Hi, Im a NOOBIE so bear with me...

I Bought the Minipov kit and built with the mitch altman mod and would like it to act as a receiver that actually turns an audiosource into different sequences of light, so I could use it with AudioStrobe Software.... I like how it generates its own sound but I think it would be Nice to Compile my own Binaural Beats on the NEVE console at my Engineering School and play them through a device to activate the lights and bask in the mind programming bliss....Im new to this hole SHiBang so any info is greatly appreciated Id love to make friends with some of you geniuses that frequent this establishment...... Until Next-time

CarpeDiem

maltman23

Re: Can I turn The MINIPOV into a Sound to Light Brain Machine?

Post by maltman23 »

Turning an audio source into a brain frequency sequence could be really cool! But I don't know what AusioStrobe Software is, or the NEVE console. What are they? What do you have in mind for them with the Brain Machine? Please tell me more.

Cheers,
Mitch.

FREAKwhenSEE

Post by FREAKwhenSEE »

Thanks for the Reply Mitch and thanks for the radical build, The Neve is a recording console that was built by a man by the name of Rupert Neve, he is to the professional audio world as gates is to computers, but rupert came up with his own ideas....Im going to an audio engineering school in Phoenix and we have some awesome equipment at our fingertips, the NEVE VR being one of them...Its an analog console that lets me record up 48 tracks simultaneously and control them with automation, makes any sense? So what my plans are is to produce 30- 60 min brain sessions for all 5 levels, i can generate the binaural beats with the brain machine I built off of your schematics and then lay them on the bottom of the track and add some more musical presence to the sessions to give it more life and depth.... but what I want to do is after I make the music be able to hook the output of my mp3 to the brain machine, have the brain machine analyze the audio and flash the lights to the binaural frequencies that are laced on the track... So there would be One audio In FROM A MP3 PLAYER that goes two places, one would go directly to a audio out for the headphones, and the other would pass through filters of some sort (something able to see the binaural beats) and flash the led's in sync with what the MP3 player is playing. They have devices like that called audiostrobe's and there is some software that plays binaural beat music (nlp programmer) which has an audiostrobe function that sends light signals through the audio signal.... I need to do some research on it a little more. but do you think that is possible?

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

I think I'm following you. I get the Neve now (I apprenticed as an audio engineer in high school :)

Binaural beats don't work so well in mp3 format -- the way mp3 compresses is by getting rid of information that is not audible, and if you mask the binaural beats in music, the beats will probably mostly be eliminated. So, you may have to use a lossless format rather than mp3.

If you blink the LEDs to the music, you want to make sure that they are still blinking at brainwave frequencies, ortherwise they won't be helping your brain synch up to the programmed sequence. So, maybe you could modulate the brainwave sequence with the audio input, fading the blinking in and out according to the music's amplitude? Or, maybe just blow off the brainwave info for the lights and blink them according to the music, using colored lights for a really nice light show as the binaural beats are doing their thing.

But if you are using your really nice audio equipment, you can generate your own audio for the binaural beats and come up with something that sounds way cooler than the low-pass-filtered square waves this simple Brain Machine produces. The Brain Machine firmware (which is free and open-source) can be downloaded from my website:
http://www.CornfieldElectronics.com
(click on the "maker faire" tab)
and it gives the meditation sequence in the table at the beginning of the "slm.c" file. From that you can generate your own audio for binaural beats (using CoolEdit, or any other audio software).

Does all this make sense?

Mitch.

olwynf

Post by olwynf »

Hi,

Here is my brain machine miniPOV3 mod. This is my first ever electronics project. I'm learning at 1000/MPH!
miniPOV brainmachine mod.jpg
miniPOV brainmachine mod.jpg (427.42 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
My question is the exact same one from the OP. But I didn't find the answer much help.

I would like to use NeuroProgrammer 3 to create an audiostrobe session and run it on my miniPOV brain machine.

As I am a complete newbie I have no idea if this is possible, can the miniPOV microprocessor work as an audiostrobe decoder?

I understand Mitch's points about mp3 compression and the effects of changing the binaural beat, but overlooking those for now. Can the files created on NP3 work through the serial adapter?

I'm thinking it probably needs new firmware which I can't do yet, but if it was possible, I can learn.

Cheers,
Ollie

tldr

Post by tldr »

the tiny2313 has no analog inputs. what little i've read about audiostrobe suggests that there is a 19200Hz signal in the audio, that when present turns on the leds and when absent turns them off. you might be able to detect it with a digital pin if you filtered out all of the audible data. i guess you'd need a high pass filter and maybe an amplifier. if you got a clean enough signal the software would be pretty trivial.

alternatively, you might try this.

olwynf

Post by olwynf »

Hi Tidr,
Thanks for replying, I did think I would have to change tack and create that Instructable. It's just I was put off by having to make my own PCB, looks tricky. Guess I'll haveto give it a try if I don't want to shell out hundreds for a commercial device.
Cheers,
Ollie

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”