MiniPOV3 and batteries

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Algolosaur

MiniPOV3 and batteries

Post by Algolosaur »

I have spent quite some time tearing out my (remaining) hair since my MiniPOV3 wouldn't talk to AVRdude. Lights blinked in sequence when I turned it on, two LEDs flickered when I had it hooked up with my KeySpan, but AVRdude didn't hear it. Saw there was a potential problem with the KeySpan, got a PL2303 from AdaFruit.

It didn't work ~exactly~ the same way the KeySpan didn't.

In the course of poking and prodding with a multimeter, I chanced to check the battery voltage. I was using Energizer Lithium batteries -- they test at 1.8V each. I swapped them for some cheap old batteries in my TV remote, and suddenly AVRdude can talk to my MiniPOV.

I suspect this is due to the use of a trick circuit to fake RS-232. Algolosaur is very old, and has seen many, many trick circuits used for RS-232. Algolosaur hates trick circuits. The voltage margins will turn around and bite you every time.

Algolosaur

Re: MiniPOV3 and batteries

Post by Algolosaur »

I have now verified proper operation and programming with the AdaFruit PL2303 using new Duracell Coppertop batteries, which test at 1.6V each.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it could be that the voltage is high enough that the zener on the reset line is pulling it low

Algolosaur

Post by Algolosaur »

Possibly. I did notice that after changing batteries, I went from two flashing LEDs (6 and 7) to three (6, 7, and 8 ).

Also, running AVRdude with the lithium batteries and -v -v was giving me a lot of this sort of thing:

bitbang_cmd(): [ AC 53 00 00 ] [ 00 00 00 00 ]

I don't think I ever got a non zero response.

I'd hook it up to a variable power supply and hang a scope on it at this point, if I had a scope.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

8 seems to be the critical line. it's the clock line for icsp. i have to disconnect my cootiecage from it to be able to program. the data lines don't seem to be a problem.

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

Algolosaur wrote:I have spent quite some time tearing out my (remaining) hair since my MiniPOV3 wouldn't talk to AVRdude. Lights blinked in sequence when I turned it on, two LEDs flickered when I had it hooked up with my KeySpan, but AVRdude didn't hear it. Saw there was a potential problem with the KeySpan, got a PL2303 from AdaFruit.

It didn't work ~exactly~ the same way the KeySpan didn't.

In the course of poking and prodding with a multimeter, I chanced to check the battery voltage. I was using Energizer Lithium batteries -- they test at 1.8V each. I swapped them for some cheap old batteries in my TV remote, and suddenly AVRdude can talk to my MiniPOV.

I suspect this is due to the use of a trick circuit to fake RS-232. Algolosaur is very old, and has seen many, many trick circuits used for RS-232. Algolosaur hates trick circuits. The voltage margins will turn around and bite you every time.
Saw this post and thought for sure this was my issue, but it was not. I was using rechargeables and thought/hoped this is why I was getting the dreaded rc=-1 error but nope. Batteries changed out to REGULAR 1.6+ volts and same thing.

Ok all LEDs work fine, the default message works (MakeZine) I think, or something hard to tell.

Trying to get custom message, run "make program-digg" and get the above errror. Some specs

Using PL2303 USB Adapter on Linux Ubuntu 9.04. Went through and checked (I think) that avrdude, gcc is setup correctly.

found correct usb from /var/log/messages in fact when I issue the make program-digg command the lights (Leds) do go out and it almost starts to download the data, then it fails. So I am pretty sure the port is right, the software is setup right?

double checked solder joints, they look fine, even the serial db-9...if you want a picture I can upload later... I think it's a software issue ??? Tried to add the delay to avrdude.conf and it failed since it wasn't there to begin with. /etc/avrdude.conf didn't have it to begin with, when I ran make with it compile failed... :(

So not sure where to check next.

I appreciate your help in advance...

Rp

Update : Added -i 5000 to make file, no change.
tried to program on a xp machine, and the usb to serial device failed to install correctly so no farther on that.

Also I just installed all files from snyaptic could this be my issue, rather than dl/config/make etc...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

id try the windows machine just cause its been tested to work with it

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

ladyada wrote:id try the windows machine just cause its been tested to work with it
10-4, I will give that a try this weekend, out of town this week for work.

Should have it solved this weekend, will upload pics if the XP machine doesn't work either...

:mrgreen:

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

rpwhite3 wrote:
ladyada wrote:id try the windows machine just cause its been tested to work with it
10-4, I will give that a try this weekend, out of town this week for work.

Should have it solved this weekend, will upload pics if the XP machine doesn't work either...

Ok both windows machines didn't work, the interesting thing is the driver for the usb/serial thing I got from you guys failed. When I plug the device in it finds it then it errors out, anyway the device plugged directly into the serial port didn't work either. So...

Here are some pictures I took real quick, any suggestions please let me know still learning ;)
Back
Front

I can try better pictures if need be, by the way the message works, I just can't program a new one, I prefer to use linux, I get the rc=-1 error, and I guess it must be a bad solder joint or something...

Thanks for any replies in advance...

Going to build my mint-boost today.. ;)

**************** UPDATE *******************

Got it fixed, Zener Diode D2 had a bad joint so it didn't work of course, went to a friends house who helped me trouble shoot it. Re-solder and we are good to go....

Love this stuff..

:)

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

**************** UPDATE *******************

Ok the device works fine, but now I think I have a bad usb-serial converter, I hope someone can help me trouble shoot it?

On window machine I can load the .hex files fine with make program-digg for example when the device (*Mini-POV3*) is attached via the Serial 9 pin connector.

I can also do the above on a linux machine straight through the Serial port.

SO I load the drivers from the web site for WINXP on my winblows machine, and when I plug in the USB-Serial converter it errors out, I have tried this on 3 windows machines to no avail. I assume the device is bad.

When I plug it in on the linux machine I do get the following in the /var/log/message file..

Code: Select all

Jul 19 22:56:07 rpzathlon2 kernel: [1395640.313133] usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 25
Jul 19 22:56:07 rpzathlon2 kernel: [1395640.422725] usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jul 19 22:56:07 rpzathlon2 kernel: [1395640.422996] pl2303 1-1.4:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
Jul 19 22:56:07 rpzathlon2 kernel: [1395640.424474] usb 1-1.4: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Looks like it should work, but it doesn't.???

I updated the Makefile to no avail.

Thoughts?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did you do the stuff in the bigass red box near the top of here
http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

ladyada wrote:did you do the stuff in the bigass red box near the top of here
http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html
Good point, but that doesn't explain why it still doesn't work in Linux, this doesn't apply to that.

I will try this when I get home to make sure thats not it either :)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well lets do what we know, then we can figure out what (if anything) is broked

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

ladyada wrote:well lets do what we know, then we can figure out what (if anything) is broked
Ok when I get home I will give this a try, as it works directly through the serial port on the linux machine, just not the USB port.

I will get my laptop setup this weekend and let you know.

Thanks,

Rp

rpwhite3

Post by rpwhite3 »

rpwhite3 wrote:
ladyada wrote:well lets do what we know, then we can figure out what (if anything) is broked
Ok when I get home I will give this a try, as it works directly through the serial port on the linux machine, just not the USB port.

I will get my laptop setup this weekend and let you know.

Thanks,

Rp
Ok I still can't get the device to EVEN be seen by windows, it fails to setup when I plug the device in! So I make the changes in "RED" But of course I don't even get to that part since the device isn't seen by windows. I will assume when you plug your USB-Serial device into Windows it configures it and it doesn't end with an error? Correct? Well I can't get past that point since windows doesn't even recognize it.

I thinks it's brokes...

:)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”