Rotating display on minipov3

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
athlon2005

Rotating display on minipov3

Post by athlon2005 »

Hi

I recently built my own minipov3 kit from scratch for my college project. Now the thing is that I want to extend the functionality of minipov3 similar to that of spokepov. I was wondering if there is a way to display text on minipov as its rotating on a motor. I wanted the display to be visible clearly, so i guess i'll have to make some major changes in the program and may be the hardware also. Please help me out as there is not much time left to finalize my project

Sid

mtbf0

Re: Rotating display on minipov3

Post by mtbf0 »

this can be pretty simple or pretty hard. the minipov has a sensor input connected to pd2, (i think). just the thing for a hall effect sensor.

i knew a guy used a fan motor with a skate wheel attached to the shaft to spin a bicycle wheel with a minipov on it. he got lucky and the speed was just right so all he needed to do was modify the firmware so the display would start every time the sensor passed a magnet.

if you're not so lucky, you'll have to modify the firmware to calculate rpm and adjust the timer parameters to make the display readable.

athlon2005

Re: Rotating display on minipov3

Post by athlon2005 »

Hi

Thanks mtbf0 for your input. I realised that I'll have to use the hall sensor, but I guess the role of hall sensor is only to find the rpm of the rotating display. so if i keep the rpm constant, i wouldn't need a hall sensor. The problem that I'm getting is to map the rectangular text (i.e. in minipov3) to circular text for rotating display. Because if I use the same code and rotate the display, the relative speeds of leds near centre and towards perimeter is different, so the text gets distorted and unreadable.

Please someone help me out with the coding as i'm not very well versed with it.

Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”