MiniPOV failing with longer messages

by diyodeSimon on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 pm

I've got everything together properly (or so I thought) and tossed in a simple design (40 lines). Success.

However, if I try for a longer design (160 lines, or even 80) AVRDude tells me it's been sent propery and verified, but when I return to the unit, I either get the top and bottom LEDs on constantly, or the second bottom LED on dimly.

If I go back to a shorter message, it works. I understood that we should be able to run with 500 lines or more.

Any suggestions? This is a miniPOV3 and Windows XP.
diyodeSimon

Re: MiniPOV failing with longer messages

by adafruit on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 am

try umm, iirc its called "bigmessage.c" or something :)
adafruit

by r_vasquez94 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:44 am

I am also having this problem!! my message is about 68 lines long and it automatically programs itself to "minipov" as the message. It worked before when i spelled out my four letter long name. I didnt understand what you meant in your reply to the other person. Please help :D thank you!!
r_vasquez94

by r_vasquez94 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 am

also Im on a mac OSX macbook.ordered kit from makershed. using p2303 serial-usb. I have sucessfully built this minipov3, failed at programming, then after a week finally figured it out. I spelled out my first name and it worked but when i tried a longer text such as "AP PHYSICS!!" which was only 68 lines long, it programmed to "minipov!" i really dont know how it did that but i would really appreciate the help. thanks LadyAda!!
r_vasquez94

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:13 am

The only way for it to go back to displaying "minipov" after displaying something else is if you re-loaded the old .hex file.

Delete the old hex file. Copy your new binary image definitions into the myPOV program, recompile and re-load using the makefile as descrbed here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/programming.html
adafruit_support_bill

by r_vasquez94 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm

No i already have "minipov!" programmed into my minipov3. I successfully changed it to "Ruby" before but then when i went to reprogram it to "AP PHYSICS!!" I turned it on after it was done and it said "minipov!" . I already changed the codes in the mypov.c in my terminal/command window but it keeps programming it to "minipov!" The wierd thing is, is that i bought it from Makershed and the pre programmed message was "Make!" so why did it reset to this?
r_vasquez94

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:37 pm

No i already have "minipov!" programmed into my minipov3. I successfully changed it to "Ruby"

You can only have one thing programmed into it at a time. If it said "Ruby" before and now says "minipov" now it is because you downloaded a .hex file with "minipov".
adafruit_support_bill

by r_vasquez94 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah i know you can only have it programmed with one message at a time but I cant get rid of the "minipov!" now. I keep trying to reprogram it to say something else but every time i change the binary codes and save them in mypov.c, it always comes out "Minipov!" This didnt happen to me before so why is it doing this?
r_vasquez94