MINIPOV2, Can not read any thing while shaking!

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adam12

MINIPOV2, Can not read any thing while shaking!

Post by adam12 »

What's the reason of it while I made it just right on a veroboard and it blinks just right? I even can not see any letter while shaking it by my hand?!
Is that due to not using any sensor?

Thanks

adam12

Re: MINIPOV2, Can not read any thing while shaking!

Post by adam12 »

I forgot to tell that I use Pony Prog to program the chip through Parallel port.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

check you have the fuses, connections and programming right. we don't offer tech support to DIY project builders so please try to figure it out on your own :)

adam12

Post by adam12 »

adafruit wrote:check you have the fuses, connections and programming right. we don't offer tech support to DIY project builders so please try to figure it out on your own :)
I just tried to solve the problem for more than one day. But I couldn't!? So I tried to ask you the above question.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Your sensor question is answered in the FAQ:
Is a sensor included?
No sensor is included. There is a spot for a sensor on the PCB but that is more for people who are interested in modifying the kit. A sensor is not necessary for operation.

adam12

Post by adam12 »

arduwino wrote:Your sensor question is answered in the FAQ:
Is a sensor included?
No sensor is included. There is a spot for a sensor on the PCB but that is more for people who are interested in modifying the kit. A sensor is not necessary for operation.

Thanks sir,

Can you please tell me if if I have to make any change to the codes/ clock etcs while I use poby prog as programmer for minpov version2?

By the way can I use CodVision software to program the chip as well?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The plans & procedures in the tutorial are known to work. Adafruit can't really provide individual support if you are not using the materials from the kit or following the published procedures.

adam12

Post by adam12 »

arduwino wrote:The plans & procedures in the tutorial are known to work. Adafruit can't really provide individual support if you are not using the materials from the kit or following the published procedures.

Thanks,

As I am a newbie in the microcontrollers so I just want to know if I have to do something with clock time when using ponyprog instead of WINAVR?
My leds blink and the ponyprog tells that the chip is programmed successfully so I am badly suspected to the clock adjustments and so (ponyprog has nothing for clock adjustments (if needed)).

I just saw a clip for the Minpov kit working as dot blinking (I mean counting from zero to 7) and noticed that mine does so slower than that in showed in the clip. So I thought maybe The problem is due to clock or so on??

adam12

Post by adam12 »

By the way I am sure that my hardware is just ok.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

what are your fuse settings? sounds like you haven't turned off ckdiv8.

adam12

Post by adam12 »

mtbf0 wrote:what are your fuse settings? sounds like you haven't turned off ckdiv8.
Thanks for the reply, I do mot do amything. just load the hex file from the zip file put in the link by the original designer and then click on the the wititing tag. finally the ponyprog tells that programming was successfully, and the leds start to blinking, but when I shake the system I can not see any clear thing! a friend of mine tells that he just hardly cab see a "M" on my pov but It is not so clear to tell that it is a reall M.
I just put the whole device on a motor to rotate it by higher speeds because I thought maybe the problem is due to handshaking but the result was unpromising. I just saw kinds of cycloid/curve created by the leds but no letter was seen! (I did not use any sensor for the both tests).

What is ckdiv8? how to tun it off in ponyprog?

Thanks a bunch :)

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

as it comes from the factory your 2313 runs at 1MHz. the minipov firmware assumes an 8MHz clock. to get your chip to run at the proper speed you need to disable the feature on the chip that causes it's internal 8MHz oscillator frequency to be divided by eight. this is done by resetting the CKDIV8 fuse in the 2313's low fuse byte. the low fuse value you need is 0xe4. sorry, but i know nothing about ponyprog.

adam12

Post by adam12 »

mtbf0 wrote:as it comes from the factory your 2313 runs at 1MHz. the minipov firmware assumes an 8MHz clock. to get your chip to run at the proper speed you need to disable the feature on the chip that causes it's internal 8MHz oscillator frequency to be divided by eight. this is done by resetting the CKDIV8 fuse in the 2313's low fuse byte. the low fuse value you need is 0xe4. sorry, but i know nothing about ponyprog.
Ah, yea thanks sir :) , the problem was solved by disabling the CKDIV8 tag on the Ponyprog.

Now I can see some of letters. Do I need to adjust anyother thing regarding clock/fuses please?
What to do to get 0xe4?

The last question is that the POV I made shows the opose of the letters too. How To sovle the problem by a sensor? Is a 2 pins sensor enough to do so?
If so should one pin of the sensor be putten on GND or on the VCC?

Thanks

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

adam12 wrote:Now I can see some of letters. Do I need to adjust anyother thing regarding clock/fuses please?
What to do to get 0xe4?
as long as you didn't change anything but ckdiv8 your fuses should be ok now.
adam12 wrote:The last question is that the POV I made shows the opose of the letters too. How To sovle the problem by a sensor? Is a 2 pins sensor enough to do so?
If so should one pin of the sensor be putten on GND or on the VCC?
how are you using the pov? i believe that the sensor input is generally used with a hall effect sensor to sense rotational speed when the device is mounted on a wheel or fan. the input on the pov board is connected to portd, pin2 and its use will require additional programming.

sensing the direction of motion is tricky. a mechanical tilt switch might work. or an accelerometer, but you'd need one with a digital output since the 2313 has no analog inputs. scan this forum to see what others have done...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”