programming error

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
prayag2010

programming error

Post by prayag2010 »

Can anyone please help with the programming the minipov3 ???
I followed the instructions on the website.I am using a USB-serial converter and I looked under device manager and my com port is com29.I changed it in the "makefile" i typed in make program-minipov and tis is the error displayed -

avrdude -p attiny2313 -P com29 -c dasa -U flash:w:minipov.hex
avrdude: ser_open() : can't open device "com29": The system could not find the file
specified.

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: ***[program-minipov] Error 1

mtbf0

Re: programming error

Post by mtbf0 »

i think i'd reboot to get rid of some of those com devices, then plug the minipov back in see what device it gets assigned to and edit the Makefile again. seems like windows users have had trouble with really high com port numbers in the past.

i also think there's a way to go into the device manager and delete some of the older ones if you'd rather not reboot.

prayag2010

Post by prayag2010 »

Well, I only have these ports -
Communications Port(COM1)
ECP printer port(LPT1)
Intel active management technology - SOL (COM3)
USB - SERIAL CH340 (COM29)

prayag2010

Post by prayag2010 »

Well, I only have these ports -
Communications Port(COM1)
ECP printer port(LPT1)
Intel active management technology - SOL (COM3)
USB - SERIAL CH340 (COM29)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you cannot use a CH340 type converter, it should be PL2303 or FT232

prayag2010

Post by prayag2010 »

well......I guess I have to buy a new one........

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

re: high COM port numbers in Windows.

The actual Windows API call to open a COM port is CreateFile, and while normally you just call CreateFile passing a name like COM1 or COM3 or COM9, once you get past 9, that method doesn't work. You must prepend a special string to the name, \\.\, so that for COM29, you'd pass \\.\COM29 to create file. And of course, if you're writing this in C source, you must double your backslashes, so it becomes \\\\.\\COM29.

Don't know if that's what's in play here (sounds like NOT if you don't have the "correct" type of adapter), but since someone mentioned a problem with high com port numbers and Windows, I thought I'd pass along one piece of information. And of course, if that were the problem, whoever wrote (or maintains) the software would have to fix it, it wouldn't be an end-user fixable problem.

Finally, in my experience, once you plug something in, Windows wants to keep it at whatever COM port number it originally assigned. I don't know how to "reset" this, but probably only because I've never had to.

eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

I remembered buying those CH340 type adapters. I think I got mine *almost* working, because sometimes it can read my AVRs, but with the wrong signature, sometimes it just can't read the chip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”