Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

MiniPOV3: No lights turn on when powered on
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

MiniPOV3: No lights turn on when powered on

by Jakel on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi adafruit,

I am requesting help on my MiniPIOV3 kit. It did not light after completing the kit and powering it on.

First, let me state, I have no electrical engineering experience and have never soldered. I have two children 5 and 7 and our family wants to join in on the maker movement. The kids were involved in every part of this kit effort except the poor soldering, which I take full responsibility for!

We used a lead free solder and a good quality iron from your store. From your tutorials I gathered that lead free is harder to work with, but with younger children I felt more comfortable with the lead free solder. After completing the kit we powered it on and none of the lights turned on. I did try another set of fresh batteries. Then, using a multimeter, I checked for continuity, by following the pcb tracings and found continuity a where, I believe, it belonged and did not identify any bridged connections. Though "not there yet" I figured I'd give you all of my information now in the case it later becomes necessary. I am using Mac OSX, a serial USB adapter from adafruit, no lights turned on at all when powered. I must confess that the last time I clumsily checked for continuity, I had powered it on and forget to turn it off. Perhaps, now I have really messed it up. Below are photos of the top and bottom of my kit. Thank you for the help.

Thanks,
David :roll:

I am attaching screen shots. When I tried to upload jpeg I got this message: The image file you tried to attach is invalid.

kitbotscrnsht.png
kitbotscrnsht.png (406.03 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

kittopscrnsht.png
kittopscrnsht.png (400.54 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Jakel

Re: MiniPOV3: No lights turn on when powered on

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:46 am

Your component placement looks correct. If you can post a larger shot of the back-side, we could see more detail on the solder. (Better light would be good too - try near a window or even outside).

The battery connections are hidden by the hot-melt glue. Double-check that you have the polarity correct.

adafruit_support_bill

by Jakel on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 am

Here are pictures with more light. I removed the glue from the battery connection.
Thanks!

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (355.89 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (284.7 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
Jakel

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:52 am

That all looks good. Do you have a multimeter? Can you test that you are seeing ~3v where the battery wires connect?

adafruit_support_bill

by Jakel on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 am

When I test with my multimeter I get more than 3V at the battery connection on the back of the pcb.
Jakel

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 am

There is a greyish area between pins 6 & 7 on the processor chip. Double-check to make sure that is not a solder bridge. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong.

If that checks out OK and it still doesn't work, contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement MiniPOV processor chip.

adafruit_support_bill