And suddenly it stopped working...

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
remmelt

And suddenly it stopped working...

Post by remmelt »

Hey there!

I have built a minipov2 on perfboard (front | back) (clickthrough won't work unfortunately, so please shift-reload if you get a 1x1 gif)

Since then I have corrected my build (forgot some resistors, hurray for double checking everything!) and it worked fine.

I got some pretty good results except that when the device was running on battery power it would sometimes reset after displaying a couple of lines. I am using a modified mypov.c.

I noticed that the schematic and the code do not match up... The code uses port B, where the schematic has most of its LEDs connected to port D. I have corrected the code I am using and now it's fine. Was this intentional? Was there a screw-up on my part?

As said, it used to work fine until I tried to run the cycle just once by coding an "exit(0)" or (1), I can't remember which. I uploaded the hex file and now my Tiny isn't responding anymore. Hey! That exit wasn't to be taken so seriously!

I have tried another powersource, this doesn't seem to fix anything. LEDs would blink when the parallel port cable was connected, this has stopped too.

What did I do wrong?

remmelt

Post by remmelt »

Code: Select all

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check 
Is what it says, but I don't think it's the port that's not working like in the other thread, because I have gotten it to work before...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not sure what happened to your avr. there was a mistake in the fuse setting code in the Makefile, its been fixed so try with a new micro and new code.
but the schematic has been updated from v2.0 to the v2.1 version, which uses a different port.
good luck

Post by Guest »

I bought two (to make sure) new tinies, and will try them out later today.

I was thinking: I have built an iR receiver and it is connected to the serial port. There is a voltage regulator (78L05) that brings any excess voltage from the serial port down to the 5v the iR eye (a TSOP1738) wants to see. There's also a diode (1N4148) that keeps any negative voltage away from the iR eye.

Is it possible that I have burned my first AtTiny up because of too many volts? The chip is certified for voltages up to 5v, that's why I was wondering if it would be safe to build in a voltage regulator like with the iR receiver. Would that make sense? Do I need a diode too?

Post by Guest »

And ofcourse, that was me :)

remmelt

Post by remmelt »

Anonymous wrote:And ofcourse, that was me :)
I know I'll get it right, I haven't studied CS for nothing, right?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

im pretty sure the attiny can take input as high as 5V even when running at a lower voltage. to be safe you can put in a voltage divider or just a resistor (like 1K or something)
again, there was a mistake in the 'burn fuse' command in the makefile, im pretty sure ive fixed it, you should redownload the code from the site...

El Stupido

POV2 Fuse

Post by El Stupido »

Well I attached this 10MHz crystal oscillator

and the appropriate capacitors. Then after I programed in my new fuse values it broke.. I changed your makefile

lfuse:w:0xe4:m

to

lfuse:w:0xe1:m

It gave an error saying new value not varified and that was the end of the pov toy. :oops: It never responded again, you flip the switch and it doesn't go on.

I tried running burn-fuse with the 0xe4 value again but that didn't work. I tried taking off the oscillator. Still nothing, tried burning the 0xe4 without the oscillator still no response. I'm out of ideas. :idea: :cry:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

are you sure those are the right fuse values? did you hook up the oscillator properly? you can always buy a new chip...

Post by Guest »

I am not sure the values are correct, but i am sure that the oscillator is connected properly. There is no way to put this chip back into the factory default state? Thanks for your quick response ladyada. If there is no other choice, do you know the cheapest supplier for that ATTiny2313?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try digikey

El Stupido

Fixed

Post by El Stupido »

Well, I got it fixed by running a clock pulse to the XTAL2 pin. It just sprang back to life once i did that. Then while that was going I adjusted the fuses so I'm back baby!! And with a 10 MHz crystal so better then ever!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”