ATTINY FUSE SETTINGS

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wtfwtfdef

ATTINY FUSE SETTINGS

Post by wtfwtfdef »

I am wondering if anyone knows some stuff on this pov stuff. Its extremely hard to see the image this makes. If i burn the fuse to requested makefile reading , its almost impossible to see message, unless im moving my arm at 100 miles/hour. So I end up setting fuse back to 64 for slower clock, Im assuming. Best clock fuse setting to see the image easily? Are there some kind of optimal fuse settings?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: ATTINY FUSE SETTINGS

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

0x64 enables the divide-by-8 on the system clock. That's the only fuse setting that will make any kind of difference to what you see.

wtfwtfdef

Post by wtfwtfdef »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:0x64 enables the divide-by-8 on the system clock. That's the only fuse setting that will make any kind of difference to what you see.

Hi rick, thanks for the quick reply. I dont exactly understand what you mean. 0x64 is the 'safe' default for the attiny2313 chosen by avrdude. If I use the makefile given with the firmware it sets to EF or something, which makes the message almost unreadable unless Imove my hand at 100 miles/hour.. I understand its the fuse setting that makes a difference to what I see, as I can see it and stated it in the original question, my question was what is the best fuse settings to see the image better, as the one in the makefile seems to be ridiculous to see an image with unless you are moving your hand at 100miles/hour.

Has anyone tried putting different fuses in and experimented which works best at what arm speed/velocity to see the image better? I guess this is getting into the Spike POV territory, but I dont want to put a sensor and just would like to better see the image.

adafruit_support_rick

There are only two options for the low fuse setting that will affect the speed you have to move the minipov. 0x64 will slow the whole thing down by a factor of 8 over the out-of-the-box setting, which is 0xE4. The rest of the fuse bits should not be altered in any way.

wtfwtfdef

Post by wtfwtfdef »

thanks rick, so those are the only hardware options. Is there anything in the firmware I can alter to change timings? Could you possibly go through the code step by step explaining everything it does? If anyone has any ideas on timings, or sensors I guess, and how to interface, would appreciate it very much. I have mounted my miniPov3 on a stick with a piece of metal, and spin it around really fast to make a message, great for parties.

adafruit_support_rick

In the firmware, have a look at the file minipov.c. You can adjust the speed by changing the TIMER_PRESCALE constant in function main():

Code: Select all

int main(void) {

DDRB = 0xFF;       // set all 8 pins on port B to outputs

/*
    the frequency of the interrupt overflow is determined by the 
    prescaler and overflow value.
    freq = clock_frequency / ( 2 * prescaler * overflow_val)
    where prescaler can be 1, 8, 64, 256, or 1024
    clock_freq is 8MHz
    and overflow_val is 16bit

the overflow value is placed in OCR1A, the prescale is set in TCCR1B
    so for example:
    A good POV frequency is around 400Hz
    desired freq = 400Hz
    clock freq = 8MHz
    8MHz / (400Hz * 2) = 10000
    since 10000 is less than 655536 (largest 16 bit number)
    OCR1A = 10000 and the prescale is 1
  */

TCCR1B = (1 << WGM12) | TIMER1_PRESCALE_1;
  OCR1A = (uint16_t)10000;

TIMSK |= 1 << OCIE1A;   // Output Compare Interrupt Enable (timer 1, OCR1A) 

sei();                 // Set Enable Interrupts

while (1);
}
As you can see, the code is set for TIMER1_PRESCALE_1, which should be the fastest setting. TIMER1_PRESCALE_8 would be 8 times slower. The possible options are:

Code: Select all

#define TIMER1_PRESCALE_1 1
#define TIMER1_PRESCALE_8 2
#define TIMER1_PRESCALE_64 3
#define TIMER1_PRESCALE_256 4
#define TIMER1_PRESCALE_1024 5

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”