Cannot connect to ATTiny2313

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
charlies1

Cannot connect to ATTiny2313

Post by charlies1 »

Hello,

I am having some troubles communicating with my ATTiny2313. I have verified that all connections are correct and tested for connectivity with a multimeter as well, but cannot seem to get anything to work.

I get the following

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again

no matter what...

This is my first post here, just FYI, thank you in advance for your help!

charlies1

Re: Cannot connect to ATTiny2313

Post by charlies1 »

Hello again,

Sorry to double-post, but I wanted to follow up:

I just tried the -F command, and here's the error text I received:

Code: Select all

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.86s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read lfuse properly. Programmer may not be reliable.
avrdude: safemode: To protect your AVR the programming will be aborted

avrdude done.  Thank you.
Any thoughts? How do I fix the lfuse?

Thanks in advance!

charlies1

Re: Cannot connect to ATTiny2313

Post by charlies1 »

Hello,

Since my last posts, I've tried several things. I was originally running on Mac OS X 10.6.8, so I decided to try on Windows 7. Still the same results, rc=-1.

I know we weren't supposed to use the -F command, but I was curious what output it might generate, so I have a few different cases of error texts I can show whomever may end up reading this...hopefully I'll get an adafruit reply soon?

The only thing I suspect is an issue is the USB to serial converter I bought, which was a TrendNet TU-S9. I've tried both the native driver that came with the converter, as well as the OS X Prolific PL2303 driver, as well as the Prolific Windows driver. No difference whatsoever in connectivity. For all cases, the computer recognizes that the device is connected, but I cannot communicate with the ATTiny2313.

I read in a different post on this forum that using the "-B" and a value >1 could help. Here's the original post:
mrcity wrote:Given that it's showing 0x000000, it seems like you have decent electrical connections but just can't get the communication to work properly. I'd suggest searching around the Interwebs to find what other people have done in this case.

One thing you might try is
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -B 5 -vvvv
A -B value of >1 slows down AVRDUDE's communication clock speed and may help you reach the chip. If this works, you might consider examining the fuses to find out what the chip's clock speed is, and increase it if desired.

Unless you can get communication working without a doubt, I wouldn't attempt to reprogram the fuses.

- Stephen
Anyway, I tried -B 5, which seemed again to do something, because I received yet again a different error text. This time it said it was the hfuse, not the lfuse. Anyone who is interested in deciphering error text, let me know, I'll paste in what I got from avrdude.

Any ideas/thoughts/comments would be much appreciated, thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”