Minipov serial ports pinout to FDTI Friend by Adafruit?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Korrupt

Minipov serial ports pinout to FDTI Friend by Adafruit?

Post by Korrupt »

Hello everyone,
(i really searched!) ... i'm not sure if the solution i seek is actually possible. I built the LED Cube kit on the minipov3 Board and it works, i did not have a serial/USB connector yet to program it. On 31C3 i bought the geiger counter kit by mightyohm and, to have it somehow connected to modern computers, the ftdi friend by adafruit.
The latter has thie pinout (Black) GND - CTS - VCC - TX - RX - RTS (Green) and now my thought was, that it *should* be possible to wire these to the standard serial port on the minipov.
Minipov works. COM port driver for the FTDI Friend works, too. I tried an "obvious" wiring from the FTDI Friend into the serial Port
GND - Pin 5
CTS - Pin 8
VCC - Pin 1
TX - Pin 3
RX - Pin 2
RTS - Pin 6
and had no effect (AVR Device not responding).
AVRDude installed correctly, Port was found in the (Win XP) Device section (Com port 4) and the AVRDude settings changed accordingly. FTDI LEDS blink when plugged in, device shows up correctly. I did not try different wirings now since i'm unsure if it "can even" work and don't want to mess up the FTDI Friend nor the Minipov.
Any Ideas?
greetz
Korrupt
Attachments
minipov-ftdi-friend.jpg
minipov-ftdi-friend.jpg (711.7 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Minipov serial ports pinout to FDTI Friend by Adafruit?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Try reversing RX and TX

Korrupt

Re: Minipov serial ports pinout to FDTI Friend by Adafruit?

Post by Korrupt »

*sigh* Bought a cable now, works. Sorry, hoped to provide a nice workaround, maybe only the contacts/pins were at fault, nevertheless, i can program it now. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”