building minipov2

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fever16

building minipov2

Post by fever16 »

hi
first of all let me thank ladyada for discovering and sharing such a wonderfull stuff with us.
i was searching over the net for lighting my motorcycle wheels with 2 simple LED's.and google showed ladyada's site.so i decided to make simple minipov2,which i can attach to my motorcycle wheel.
i have some doubts in this project.

1.there's a sensor provision in the minipov2.what is the sensor type?is it hall effect sensor.if i want to use this function what modifications shld be done in source code and PCB wiring.
2.i want to place it in my motorcycle.so i can't keep parallel port dongle along with the ckt.can i keep them seperately
3.what is the mAX rotation speed of MINIPOV2.(for visible picture)
my speed range is 12-40Miles/Hr

if someone already tested this ckt on motorcycles,pls help me
thanks once again

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i discourage using this on motorcycles because if it flies off its incredibly dangerous and could hurt you or someone else.

regardless, you can use a hall effect sensor, look at the spokepov project to figure out how its done, remember theres a small typo on the sensor input (see the instructions)

fever16

Post by fever16 »

yes it is dangerous if i attach it at the end of my motorcycle rim.thats why i planned to keep the ckt at the centre of the rim and LED's at the end(using a bar).and ofcourse i'll fix it firmly(iam a mechanical engnieer so i have idea how to balance centrifual force).
but what i want to know is visibility of picture or words at such high speeds.by using hall effect sensor combination can i mkae it visible?

and i seperated parallel port dongle from minipov2's PCB(posted above).is it ok?
** ladyada-please update minopov2's PCB file.its still without sensor version

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

fever16 wrote:yes it is dangerous if i attach it at the end of my motorcycle rim.thats why i planned to keep the ckt at the centre of the rim and LED's at the end(using a bar).and ofcourse i'll fix it firmly(iam a mechanical engnieer so i have idea how to balance centrifual force).
if you're a mech eng, im surprised you call it centrifugal when you really mean centripetal ;)
but what i want to know is visibility of picture or words at such high speeds.by using hall effect sensor combination can i mkae it visible?

and i seperated parallel port dongle from minipov2's PCB(posted above).is it ok?
** ladyada-please update minopov2's PCB file.its still without sensor version
umm. there is no updating to be done. there is simply no information about how to do it right now. it is an additional option which some people may want but its up to you to write the code and do the hardware. thats why its not sold with a sensor.
or look on the forum, i think maybe some others were working on that sort of project.

Post by Guest »

f you're a mech eng, im surprised you call it centrifugal when you really mean centripetal
:oops:

and last doubt.can i make this minipov 2-sided.with out modifying hardware.ofcourse we can use this to display some words only like "WOW"
by soldering LED's exactly in the reverse direction.
**sorry for such bad pic.i used paint brush to create it
[img=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8692/sided4qz.th.jpg]

fever16

Post by fever16 »

did someone tested this minipov on motorcycle.
pls do PM me

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”