AVR is Sad on my Mac

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chuckt

AVR is Sad on my Mac

Post by chuckt »

I am getting the dreaded AVR device not responding. (I'll keep it short!)

I am using the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter with the most recent drivers on OS X 10.5.6
When I assembled the kit, I got the cycling lights, and when I plug into the serial port and run avrdude, I get a solid LED 6, and a blinking LED 8 (I think those are the right #'s.)

After about 45 seconds I get the not responding message. I have tried different delays- up to 6000 but no go.

Here are some pix for your viewing pleasure- did I wire it wrong? Thanks for any help!

C-

(attached pix not showing?)

halley

Re: AVR is Sad on my Mac

Post by halley »

Host your photo elsewhere on the web, such as photobucket.com, and then copy their "bbcode link" or just the plain URL into your next reply.

[img]http://whateverhost/whateverpath/whateverpic.jpg[/img]

chuckt

Post by chuckt »

Ah- of course :)

Thanks!

chuckt

Post by chuckt »

Wow PineConeBob- what's with that? Did you actually *read* my post before flaming back instructions?

First: "When I assembled the kit" <- indicates I bought the Kit.
Second: "on OS X 10.5.6" <- Indicates Mac, OS X.
Third: "I am using the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter" <- This indicates I am using a USB Adapter.
Fourth: "When I assembled the kit, I got the cycling lights" <- indicates again the kit, and the miniPOV lit up.
Fifth: If you read my post, it's fairly explanatory on what my issue is.
Sixth: No screen shot needed- it's a specific error, discussed before- AVR not responding in avrdude.
Seventh: Well, it ain't art, but the photos I think are fairly representative of the top and bottom of the kit- don't you think!?

halley

Post by halley »

I think pineconebob is just looking to inflate his post count for some reason. He(?) cut and paste the usual advice from ladyada, five minutes after you posted images.

The images look clean, sometimes the light is shining off the flux so it's hard to see if there's a solder bridge but it looks okay. Maybe ladyada can spot a cold joint that I don't see. If you have an ohmmeter, I'd poke around to see if each of the nine RS-232 pins connect nicely to the other end of their respective traces on the board. That was the weak link in my case when I built this kit.

From my experience, the Keyspan is not ideal, but on a Mac with no RS-232, what are you gonna do? Did you use the most up-to-date drivers they have available? How long is the USB cord? Are you going from a powered (bus) USB jack, or an unpowered hub?

chuckt

Post by chuckt »

Thanks halley-

Yeah, the light on the solder makes it look worse than it is, but there aren't any flow-overs (shorts?) or anything too bad like that.

I will start poking around with my ohmmeter to see if I can find anything a hardware noob like me can decipher.

The Keyspan is what I have, but I'm not against a run to Fry's to buy something specific. I am also not going into or out of a hub; I'm coming right out of the front of my G5 and the cord is about 1 meter.

BTW, I built the minty boost (spicy boost in my case) before this one and it works great- charged a completely dead video iPod in 2 hours with a little to spare. More kits for me for sure :)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mmm, go back and solder the DB9 again, it looks like some pins may not be soldered down (?)
also, try increasing the delay

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”