Spoke pov on car

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
delambo

Spoke pov on car

Post by delambo »

I am interested in these spoke povs. Can the speed at which they operate be altered? I am guessing they only leave the image stationary at a given speed and anything below that given speed the imagae will appear to rotate anticlockwise and above that speed it will appear to rotate clockwise? The reason I ask is that I would be interested in fitting them to cars. I am in the motor industry, and it would be nice little part time job for my wife to make a few up when she has the time, and then I could sell them to my customers. If they are set to speed suitable for a BMX that speed would be too slow. Around 30mph would be good so they work correctly when cruising round town!

adafruit

Re: Spoke pov

Post by adafruit »

delambo wrote:I am interested in these spoke povs. Can the speed at which they operate be altered? I am guessing they only leave the image stationary at a given speed and anything below that given speed the imagae will appear to rotate anticlockwise and above that speed it will appear to rotate clockwise?
no, there is a sensor, the image is stable at all speeds (although perhaps not very visible).

they will work up to 30mph but perhaps not much faster than that.

you are on your own as to how to safely adapt them for cars, as they are designed for bicycles and it is not trivial to secure them. see also the multiple posts about motorcycles.

Lowpass

Post by Lowpass »

AbstractGeo

Post by AbstractGeo »

I'm considering this on a bus. (See http://www.skoolie.net or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoolies) The 30 MPH limit seems like a bummer, but the larger wheel size might be really interesting. Would using a 'faster' PIC help overcome the speed limit? I'd really much prefer using an open system like this as opposed to the proprietary stuff that tiretags et al do.

Another interesting idea- Sensor is keyed on a magnet, right? If those were *electromagnets* instead, you could disable and enable the devices remotely, by simply allowing the driver/bike operator/whatever to switch the electromagnets on and off. Hmm...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”