Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

X0XB0X very low volume.
Moderators: Altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, mome rath

X0XB0X very low volume.

by djones on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:50 pm

I bought this defective X0XB0X on the web with the intent of fixing the unit.
So the issue it that the output volume is very very low.
Where do I go from here, what could be the problem(s) and or how do I find out what's causing this?
I have zero knowledge of electronics, that probably won't help, but I would still like to give it a try :-)
djones

Re: X0XB0X very low volume.

by drtitus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 am

I just had this problem today... for me it was solved by re-soldering the pins from the headphone chip (LA4140) and the BA6110 from the VCA. I was seeing the signal (using my oscilloscope) at pins 6,7, 8 on the BA6110, but the headphone output was very quiet. Check this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3954
drtitus

by drtitus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Had been beating my head against the wall after the problem came back. Turned out it was a bad joint on one of the caps in the mixer section. Found it by probing around at each pad until I got a sporadic volume increase. By probing around I was able to make a connection between the leg of the component and the track which brought the thing to life. I wasn't seeing any output from pin 6 on the headphone amp, checked it was being powered correctly and then narrowed it down to "something on the input of the amplifier".

Good luck, be patient ;)
drtitus

by synthplayer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 pm

djones wrote:I bought this defective X0XB0X on the web with the intent of fixing the unit.
So the issue it that the output volume is very very low.
Where do I go from here, what could be the problem(s) and or how do I find out what's causing this?
I have zero knowledge of electronics, that probably won't help, but I would still like to give it a try :-)

First, it would be worth a try to reheat the all the soldering joints in the synth section i.e. top half of the x0xb0x pcb and check J5 connection to the IO board pcb; to eliminate possible bad contact/dry joint issue.

If that doesn't help, then you can use a multimeter in AC mode to check for signal strength. You can program/play a pattern with a single note to keep the signal constant, have all the pot setting on the x0xb0x turned to minimum except the TUNE knob.

Check VCF for output
Measure with a meter in AC 20V mode or look on the CRO at R96 connecting C14

Check VCA for output
Measure with a meter in AC 20V mode or look on the CRO at C38 connecting to Volume pot.

You should get at least >1V at all of these points.
synthplayer