x0x completed: noisy VCO or VCA + tempo rotary not working

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
orangefest

x0x completed: noisy VCO or VCA + tempo rotary not working

Post by orangefest »

I've finished my Willzyx x0xb0x kit, but there are two problems:
1) When a note is played, it sounds pretty noisy. This doesn't sound like background noise to me but rather "white noise". The noise mimics the envelope of the sound (if that makes sense). It is most pronounced when listening through the phone jack on headphones. I can't tell if this is a VCO problem or VCA problem.
2) I can't control the tempo. The tempo rotary encoder is stuck at the same fast tempo even when turning it. I'm not sure which pins to check to determine if it is a bad part.
Thanks in advance

antto

Re: x0x completed: noisy VCO or VCA + tempo rotary not working

Post by antto »

about the noise: since the synth is VCO -> VCF -> VCA, if the noise doesn't get "filtered" by the vcf (like when you tweak the cutoff/reso) then it's definately after the VCF

you can use the control app to change the tempo, that won't solve the actual problem, just saying..

mmm

Re: x0x completed: noisy VCO or VCA + tempo rotary not working

Post by mmm »

orangefest wrote:I've finished my Willzyx x0xb0x kit, but there are two problems:
2) I can't control the tempo. The tempo rotary encoder is stuck at the same fast tempo even when turning it. I'm not sure which pins to check to determine if it is a bad part.
Check pins 38 and 39 of the CPU with an oscilloscope (if you got one) while turning the tempo encoder.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”