VCF not working [Willzyx kit]

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mmm

Re: VCF not working [Willzyx kit]

Post by mmm »

For peace of mind you may want to check at the pin closest to C13 if you have also a signal too with Resonance set to min (though I'm pretty sure you'll have a signal there).

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

Yes, I have a signal on that pin when I set Resonance to min. I found it interesting that as I turn Resonance down, the amplitude of the wave increases around two-fold when Cutoff is set min and around 5-fold when Cutoff is set to max. Is this to be expected?

Thank you VERY much for your help antto and MMM!!!

mmm

Post by mmm »

mavzz wrote:I found it interesting that as I turn Resonance down, the amplitude of the wave increases around two-fold when Cutoff is set min and around 5-fold when Cutoff is set to max. Is this to be expected?
I haven't checked if this is to be expected on this scale but in general a resonance increase leads to a level decrease.

Good filter designs compensate for this; for example by boosting the filter input level simultaneously. The xoxbox (and 303) take a different approach: The Resonance control doesn't only send the signal back to the ladder; it also sends the signal proportionally to the VCA in addition the to the "regular" filter output.

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

Cool, that's really interesting to know! :D

Thank for all your help MMM!

Pish

Post by Pish »

This looks like what I need to go through.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”