x0xb0x USB

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Matrix12x

x0xb0x USB

Post by Matrix12x »

HI,
My x0xb0x USB does not seem to work for anything.

All other functions work fine. MIDI, everything else works great. Just no USB no matter what I try. I have tried multiple computers, OSX 10.4 thru 10.8, and Windows. Nothing nada. The x0xb0x never appears as a USB device on any system. I replaced the USB chip thinking this was it. Nope, same results. As far as I can tell everything is soldered in well.

Question 1) If all I had was the IO board powered and plugged in, would I see USB?
Question 2) where do I start with the troubleshooting? I do not have an oscilloscope, but do have a DMM.

Matrix12x

Re: x0xb0x USB

Post by Matrix12x »

On the FTD232 I measure +5VDC on pins 3, 13, 14, 26 with the power supply plugged in.

Pins 9, 17,29, 31 reads ground

antto

Post by antto »

as long as the usb chip gets powered properly - it should appear as a usb device on the PC
maybe inspect the area of the IO board around it, to see if there are any defects or so, i don't know

mmm

Post by mmm »

antto wrote:as long as the usb chip gets powered properly - it should appear as a usb device on the PC
I doubt this alone will be sufficient - without a proper clock source it's not going to work. I'd look at XTL2 as a possible suspect.

antto

Post by antto »

oops :oops:
well i've powered up my x0x without the cpu, and even then USB was working

mmm

Post by mmm »

antto wrote:oops :oops:
well i've powered up my x0x without the cpu, and even then USB was working
Yes, the IOboard is "self contained"; USB will work without the mainboard connected (of course it won't serve any useful purpose that way).

Matrix12x

Post by Matrix12x »

Is the crystal XTL2 polarized at all? I don't currently have access to an oscilloscope, so I'm not sure how I can check it. Maybe it's cheap enough to just replace.

mmm

Post by mmm »

XTL2 isn't polarized. Swapping it for a different one probably won't hurt. I'd also recommend checking or continuity between all components/connections and the respective IC pins; and I'd also check for shorts.

Matrix12x

Post by Matrix12x »

Thank you so much for the advice. I started measuring all of the resistors involved with the USB circuit.
got it working. sadly I misread my resistor for R8 and installed a 1.5M instead of a 1.5K. I replaced it and USB is working awesome. Connected first time I tried on OSX 10.8 intel based iMac using BANNED.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”