Flashing the Atmega162

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Chris72160

Flashing the Atmega162

Post by Chris72160 »

Hello,

i have some Atmega162-chips with FW on it here.

Chips bought from electronicshop i can flash, but these chips with the FW (MarOS or so..) on it i can`t flash.. and i don`t know why.

I use MacBook with USBtinyISP and AVRFuses.

Is it maybe possible to "lock" a chip, so nobody can`t burn another program on it? No, isn`t it??!

Greetz Chris

mmm

Re: Flashing the Atmega162

Post by mmm »

The Atmel can use either an internal clock source or an external one. The fuse settings specify which one is used.

"Blank" new Atmels use internal clock hence they can be programmed without an external clock source. Atmels already programmed for the xoxbox use the "external clock" fuse; those consequently require also an external clock source (resonator) for reprogramming.
This can be also confusing when programming new Atmels without external clock attached: Programming the firmware will work (if you do this before setting the fuses); even programming the fuses will work - but verifying the fuse settings won't (because you've practically "pulled the rug" under the Atmel by changing its clock).

Chris72160

Post by Chris72160 »

Hi,

when reprogramming even flashed chips i additionally only need the external resonator attached?

Is there anything else important?

Thanks!

Greetz Chris

mmm

Post by mmm »

Chris72160 wrote:Hi,

when reprogramming even flashed chips i additionally only need the external resonator attached?
Yes, this should do the job. Nearly any resonator or quartz will do. I had a 6MHz quartz around and this worked just fine.

Chris72160

Post by Chris72160 »

Jeah- works!!

Thanks! :)

Greetz Chris

tupinamba

Post by tupinamba »

Hi there!
I can't seem to make it work (trying to program the latest version of SokkOS (1.9.1). I have a 16Mhz quartz btw pins 18 and 19, which are also connected to two 18pf caps tied to the ground (pin 20). Is there something wrong in my setup ?
Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”