A noobs homebuilt x0xb0x with no sound [SOLVED]

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xlarge

Re: A noobs homebuilt x0xb0x with no sound [support]

Post by xlarge »

uc = atmega162 (IC3)

54656f

Post by 54656f »

Hi again,

I took a new ft232bl from a local parts store. There were so many wrong voltages on the previous one that I think I must have burned it at some stage. Most of the wrong ones were the ones communicating outwards. All the connections seem to be connecting so that's not the problem. I'm a bit afraid of the desoldering and soldering the surface mount chip. But hey! If I don't try, I won't learn.

As with all the ICs, there's no other way to check them but measuring the voltages with multimeter and oscilloscope and comparing the measurements to charts found in i.e. internet. The other option is swapping the IC in question for a new one.

I'm sorry I read Your initial post a little too fast. Our situation is different so that my b0x can change tempo in random mode. Also no apparent lags when controlled by midi. Could it still be somehow software related if all the other modes do change tempo and the thing is apparently working? Can it really work in 2mhz? Probably not with the ftdi232 chip anyway? Then again if it were software related You would probably want to flash the uc and to flash the uc You have to have the usb working or some sort of other means to do it.

Morglurg

Post by Morglurg »

xlarge wrote:uc = atmega162 (IC3)
Right, thanks!
54656f wrote:Hi again,

I took a new ft232bl from a local parts store. There were so many wrong voltages on the previous one that I think I must have burned it at some stage. Most of the wrong ones were the ones communicating outwards. All the connections seem to be connecting so that's not the problem. I'm a bit afraid of the desoldering and soldering the surface mount chip. But hey! If I don't try, I won't learn.

As with all the ICs, there's no other way to check them but measuring the voltages with multimeter and oscilloscope and comparing the measurements to charts found in i.e. internet. The other option is swapping the IC in question for a new one.

I'm sorry I read Your initial post a little too fast. Our situation is different so that my b0x can change tempo in random mode. Also no apparent lags when controlled by midi. Could it still be somehow software related if all the other modes do change tempo and the thing is apparently working? Can it really work in 2mhz? Probably not with the ftdi232 chip anyway? Then again if it were software related You would probably want to flash the uc and to flash the uc You have to have the usb working or some sort of other means to do it.
Humm, well the usb seems to work on mine, since it is discovered by windows as a device. I admire your courage and hope it works fine :).

altitude

Post by altitude »

I think you should step back and brute force test the analog section so you're not chasing your tail. Put a voltage on R90 and go through all the testing steps in the original build docs. Looking for exotic software/micro controller issues without knowing that the analog side is working correctly is the wrong way to go. I've built over 30 of these and all the debugging is always in the analog section, the sole time I had a digital issue was due to a manufacturing fault (bad etch on a tact switch). Digital problems are usually binary, it either works or it doesnt, there is no "kind of works" there.

Start with the VCO and work your way up, the analog section will work completely independently if you look up where to inject what voltage and unless you can verify it all works perfectly there is no reason to suspect anything else

Morglurg

Post by Morglurg »

I really appreciate your help!

The reason i moved on to the digital was that i've no clue where else to look. The sound generating now works as with a new ba6110! Any tips for components that might have to do with sluggishness? Also RAS doesnt work.

altitude

Post by altitude »

"[*]The leds over the keyboard light up a bit (half a second maybe, very noticeable) after the button is pressed."

That sounds like either a short on the 5V rail (i've seen foil defects around buttons that short 5V to gnd when you press a button), something with the shift registers, or the uC. First thing I would do is monitor the 5V rail as see if it droops when you press a button

Morglurg

Post by Morglurg »

Wow, interesting... Thank you so much for the ideas and support. The "5v rail" is that the 5.33 voltage running from io-board to main board? So checking in the cables for the power maybe?

altitude

Post by altitude »

No, the 5V that goes to the digital side (the 7805)

Morglurg

Post by Morglurg »

Altitude wrote:No, the 5V that goes to the digital side (the 7805)
Thank you for the support but I switched the atmega with a friends and then it worked :D.

I made a song (bad mixing!) to show the result: http://ge.tt/8rXuhVi1/v/0?c

So I guess a new atmega solves it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”