12v from power supply drops to 8.5 when pluged into board

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasont

12v from power supply drops to 8.5 when pluged into board

Post by jasont »

I'm just starting to debug my xoxbox build, kit is from Willzyx. The sequencer works but the sound is crazy.

I have a eagle board file I found on this forum that has all the reference voltages, but as soon as I plug in the power from the powersuppy board to the main board the 12v drops from 11.8 to 8.5.

I dont think that is normal. Can anyone confirm that is an issue and shine some light on what might be the problem?

antto

Re: 12v from power supply drops to 8.5 when pluged into boar

Post by antto »

the build manual includes a number of tests during the build - did you skip them?

i guess something is pulling the voltage, could be a resistor with wrong value, or some short.. or who knows what
hard to tell

jasont

Post by jasont »

I stopped doing the tests because I noticed that there were parts installed in the pictures that I wasn't asked to install yet. When I would go a head and install them the issues I spent all night tracking down cleared up. I figured I would just test when it was all complete.

Sounds like that might have been a bad idea. I will look over every part and solder point, making sure there aren't any shorts and all the components are correct.

Thanks for the tips.

antto

Post by antto »

yes, i also noticed that the pictures in the very beginning showed a bit more components on the board, but simply ignore that
the tests are there so that if anything wrong happens - you can spot it immediately, and you'll know where it is, because the build process is in relatively small steps with tests inbetween

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”