Tune knob no longer works

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mfc83

Tune knob no longer works

Post by mfc83 »

Hi guys,

I bought a premade x0xb0x from x0xsource back in 2012. The unit worked great for some time but recently the tune knob started playing up (the tune of the x0x would change at random or "drift" really quickly, eventually landing on the lowest tuning of the knob). Pushing the tune knob slightly would fix the issue and it would respect the position of the knob again. Last week however the push trick stopped working, so I opened up my x0x and reflowed a couple of joints on the tune knob and surrounding resistors, including adding a little solder to a couple of joints that looked a bit light. Now the x0x is in tune at the correct octave of C again, but the tune knob does nothing...

I can't find anything wrong with the soldering, no shorts etc. One of the resistors looks a little discoloured (I was careful soldering, but can't remember if it was like that before I touched everything up). Could it be that I've heat damaged a resistor? Is that possible? Or, could it be that the pot is now broken?

Thanks for your help

Max

mmm

Re: Tune knob no longer works

Post by mmm »

Quick guess: You may have accidentally soldered the pot wiper to one of the end terminals. This is of course just one possibility, there are others.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”