Need bootloader/Java help

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
october71

Need bootloader/Java help

Post by october71 »

Hi all, I finished building my x0xb0x, and it appears to be working fine. What I'm having trouble with is getting the firmware onto the darn thing. I've followed the instructions for installing all the java components, but when I try to load the hex file I get the following messages in the COM window:

Read C:\DOCUME~1\Phoebe\Desktop\x0xb0x-1_03.hex
trying to open port COM3 at 19200bps
trying to open port COM1 at 19200bps
Failed to find AVR board

I've been trying and retrying all this for the past couple of hours and I'm going crazy. I have no idea what could be wrong. I don't know if it helps or not, but I'm running windows xp pro and I have the latest java runtime environment. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

woot, you finally got around to building it !

october71

Post by october71 »

mome rath wrote:woot, you finally got around to building it !
Ha, yeah after having it for a couple of months, I was finally able to devote some time to it. I'd say it's taken me about 10-12 hours altogether. Now if I can only get past this one little thing :roll:

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

I had a thread on here somewhere where I listed what I had to do to get it working using JavrProg. Do a search, hopefully it's helpful.

october71

Post by october71 »

subatomic wrote:I had a thread on here somewhere where I listed what I had to do to get it working using JavrProg. Do a search, hopefully it's helpful.
Thanks, I will!

october71

Post by october71 »

I've tried this (again), which is basically the same thing I already did a few times, and it's still not connecting. I'm just going to try to do it on my roommate's eMac and see if I can get it to work there. I am totally unfamiliar with doing any of this java business (I don't do any programming) so I have no way of diagnosing what's wrong.

I'm mean with a soldering iron though! *shrug* :wink:

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

A few questions:

Have you installed the USB driver?
Have you installed the comm package for java?
when you plug your x0xb0x into the USB, do you get the telltail hardware-plugged-in-noise?

october71

Post by october71 »

Jonnay wrote:A few questions:

Have you installed the USB driver?
Have you installed the comm package for java?
when you plug your x0xb0x into the USB, do you get the telltail hardware-plugged-in-noise?
Yes to all three. Everything up to the point where it bootloads is as it should be.

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

See... I was hoping it would be something easy. No such luck.

wires

Post by wires »

hey did you ever solve this?

you might be albe to check if transmission from x0xb0x--->usb is working by connecting hyperterminal to the com port and turn the tempo knob.
this should output some characters. then atleast you know usb_tx is working.

also, using the same terminal connection you can use a scope to probe the usb_rx in on the mcu pin3 to see if you get any pulses 5v from the usb chip if you press some keys in the terminal program. (the keys are transmitted when you press them)

on the mac you can do the same using Terminal.app:

receive data from x0xb0x:
cat /dev/tty.usbserial-0B1 (or something like that)

send random data to x0xb0x
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/tty.usbserial-0B1

hth

Post by Guest »

wires wrote:hey did you ever solve this?

you might be albe to check if transmission from x0xb0x--->usb is working by connecting hyperterminal to the com port and turn the tempo knob.
this should output some characters. then atleast you know usb_tx is working.
Nope, I still haven't solved it yet. I will try this, but I'm also going to try completely reinstalling the java components. I have no experience with that stuff at all, so I strongly suspect I made a mistake somewhere with that.

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”