Legal situation regarding selling your own kit.

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonnyfatman

Legal situation regarding selling your own kit.

Post by jonnyfatman »

Hi all. I'm not too clued up on the various licenses things are released under and wondered if for example I was to take the PCB design off this site and modify it, could I sell that as my own or would ladyada need to be paid 'royalties'? I was thinking of looking at the possibility of re-designing certain bits to work around the obsolete part problem. Personally, I don't know that much about electronics, but I work at a company which produces various types of electronics equipment as well as having all the necessary scopes, multimeters, power supplies etc. We've also got design engineers that would be willing to spare me some time.

Anyway, just a thought. It'd probably never happen anyway!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the x0xb0x kit, is, in general, under a Creative Commons share-alike/attrib license, you can read about that at creativecommons.org. there are no royalties, but if you are basically just making modifications they have to attribute the original project and be released under a similar license

jonnyfatman

Post by jonnyfatman »

Ok. Cheers for that. Really looking forward to when it's my time on the waiting list!

evilxsystems

Re: Legal situation regarding selling your own kit.

Post by evilxsystems »

jonnyfatman wrote: re-designing certain bits to work around the obsolete part problem.
Well I don't really think that is a "problem". If you do that, you'll just end up making a novation bass station or any of the other clones that never actually sounded much like the 303, because they used different parts....the amazing thing about the x0x is how good of a clone it is...if you change the design to replace the obsolete hardware, you'll have a cheaper, easier to build box, that won't sound like a 303 anymore!

jonnyfatman wrote: Personally, I don't know that much about electronics, but I work at a company which produces various types of electronics equipment
So do you work for PAIA or is your name just a coincidence?

-jason

jonnyfatman

Post by jonnyfatman »

evilxsystems wrote:
jonnyfatman wrote: Personally, I don't know that much about electronics, but I work at a company which produces various types of electronics equipment

-jason
Sorry, I don't know who PAIA is, so yes that must be a coincidence. I work for a small electronics manufacturer based in the UK.

Surely there's no harm in fiddling about with alternative parts tho. Even if you end up with something that sounds completely different to a 303, it will still be an interesting sound!

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

evilxsystems wrote:
jonnyfatman wrote:

-jason

I would have guessed not after the "I don't know about electronics" bit. But hey, I guess somebody there has to answer the phones!

jonnyfatman

Post by jonnyfatman »

mome rath wrote:
evilxsystems wrote:
jonnyfatman wrote: So do you work for PAIA or is your name just a coincidence?

-jason

I would have guessed not after the "I don't know about electronics" bit. But hey, I guess somebody there has to answer the phones!
Easy tiger :o I don't answer the phones, I'm the Production Engineer.
I've done an engineering degree and plenty of electronics modules within that. Plus I'm damn good at soldering. Just because I don't know everything does not mean I cannot learn.
Personally, I find it much easier to learn things by fiddling with parameters and seeing what happens. That's the whole reason why I signed up to the waiting list for x0xb0x kits.

If this is some sort of elitist club of secretive electronics whizzkids, then perhaps I shouldn't have signed up.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

jonnyfatman wrote: If this is some sort of elitist club of secretive electronics whizzkids, then perhaps I shouldn't have signed up.
the secret handshake involves a joybuzzer :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”