having a problem in envelope (gate) testing phase

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Post by adafruit »

cchocjr wrote:
evilxsystems wrote:yeah I blew q37 (and my microcontroller) by sending voltage from the wrong side of r3...twenty some volts instead of twelve...while testing the gate...
I think that I did the same freakin' thing, man. The first time I test the gate, I attached a clip to R3--I didn't think it mattered which side, and the fab manual didn't specify--other than "the exposed side," even though during the 'prep' phase, when this resistor was installed, it was not made clear that it had to go in any particular way. It could be a practice so common though that I ought to have known.
look at the image on the PCB, theres a circle and a line the circle is the body and the line is the exposed side.

the picture right next to the instructions also shows what side to touch!

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

cchocjr wrote:
Now I'm just going to have to figure out where to track down one of the 'rare' transistors that I am now short on--weak.
The german said I didn't need to replace q37 with a 536f, that any npn transistor would work, since it wasn't involved in anything related to the audio path...FYI

-jason

cchocjr

Post by cchocjr »

evilxsystems wrote:
cchocjr wrote:
Now I'm just going to have to figure out where to track down one of the 'rare' transistors that I am now short on--weak.
The german said I didn't need to replace q37 with a 536f, that any npn transistor would work, since it wasn't involved in anything related to the audio path...FYI

-jason
cool.

cchocjr

Post by cchocjr »

ladyada wrote:
cchocjr wrote:
evilxsystems wrote:yeah I blew q37 (and my microcontroller) by sending voltage from the wrong side of r3...twenty some volts instead of twelve...while testing the gate...
I think that I did the same freakin' thing, man. The first time I test the gate, I attached a clip to R3--I didn't think it mattered which side, and the fab manual didn't specify--other than "the exposed side," even though during the 'prep' phase, when this resistor was installed, it was not made clear that it had to go in any particular way. It could be a practice so common though that I ought to have known.
look at the image on the PCB, theres a circle and a line the circle is the body and the line is the exposed side.

the picture right next to the instructions also shows what side to touch!
True, but it is just that, up until that point in the fab manual, the only explicit instructions regarding placement of resistors is, more or less, that it doesn't matter how you put them in, since their non-polar. Granted, I should have gone by the image to be on the safe side. Now I know!

cchocjr

Post by cchocjr »

evilxsystems wrote:

-jason
Just to be sure---ANY npn transistor should work?

Thanks again.

P.S.

I'm at the sequencer stage of building. No snags thus far. Got the USB chip soldered on properly the first time! Mac OSX saw it immediately. When I went to the manufacturer's driver page, I was pleasantly surprised to actually see OSX driver support. So, yes, Mac folks don't need a Windows box for this phase.

Post by guest »

any npn will work
but you should be careful
not all transistors have the same pinout
you might have to put it in backwards
or rearrange the leads to make it work

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”