x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lord.bix

Re: x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Brian,

any news from my measurements of the x0xio things. My box is still not working properly.

/Marco

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

bcbox wrote:
So I did this (installed R62 and C17), but am getting very low output on the VCF test when probing the pot
The output of the VCF is very low, I want to say ~20mV or something along those lines. You may be a-ok. I would go ahead and move on to the VCA, double check everything and then listen to the signal at pin 3 of the volume pot (or do as described in x0xb0x build manual).
Thanks Brian - I should have mentioned that I did that already, and am NOT hearing the "struck note" as described in the VCA section of the x0xb0x build manual.

I listened again to the VCF output, and I'm not really sure it's even there, low level or otherwise... One thought I had, in looking at the circuit here, in the VCF troubleshooting thread:

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3619

I haven't installed the S1 switch; since it seems like the output from the switch goes into the VCF (at R62), don't I need to have it installed to send the signal to the VCF in the first place? I have verified that I get no saw or square signal at either side of R62....

If I *do* need the switch, I don't have one (didn't buy it in anticipation of using the x0xi0 replacement) - so can I jumper something together to make it work?

Thanks again - sorry for newb questions, especially general x0xb0x ones!!
Last edited by dnigrin on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

any news from my measurements of the x0xio things. My box is still not working properly.
My gear is still all packed up from the move. I hope get some of it unpacked and set up this weekend. I'll keep you updated best I can.
I haven't installed the S1 switch; since it seems like the output from the switch goes into the VCF (at R62), don't I need to have it installed to send the signal to the VCF in the first place? I have verified that I get no saw or square signal at either side of R62....
yes you do need to make a connection there. I would just temporarily jumper the middle pad and bottom pads of S1 so the saw wave will pass. You can just use a scrap resistor lead and disconnect it after testing.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

bcbox wrote:yes you do need to make a connection there. I would just temporarily jumper the middle pad and bottom pads of S1 so the saw wave will pass. You can just use a scrap resistor lead and disconnect it after testing.
Thanks Brian - did this, and in general I made a lot of progress yesterday and have a working x0xb0x now! Now on to the x0xi0 part...

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

Quick question, I am going to be starting my x0xb0x build fairly soon and I was going to socket the DIP ICs for the x0xb0x (not the x0xi0 kit, I know I shouldn't for space clearance reasons). Are there any other ICs that I should socket or any that I shouldn't? I am just trying to think ahead to when I have to install the full kit. Thanks!

charlie_says

Post by charlie_says »

I don't appear to have the message unfortunately, but I asked Brian exactly the same question, and the answer is all can be socketed apart from IC12.

Another little tip:

Check the x0xi0 build manual for the x0x mainboard components you'll be attaching wires to. You can then leave the legs on these a little longer, which will make attaching those wires a bit easier. (I say this as one of the Qs was really tricky to attach to as I'd mounted it very close to the PCB.)

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Brian,

i still bugfixing my xox. I 100% checked up the VCF with the help of guest. I scoped every little leg of the x0x transistors.

Accidently i removed this morning the PAD U from R47. I got the gigh pass gone from the system.

Can you pls check, if the voltage is ok especially on PAD U? I need your help on that.

/Marco

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi,

its def. in TOP Mod. I have unsoldered teh top mod and the highpass is gone. The io mod seems to work ok.

Even the result is a wrabbling filter.. but at least high pass is gone.

what must i fix to get it working right?

/Marco

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Brian,

after i desoldered teh cap's from the VCF ladder and all wires from mod, and placed them back, the xox seems to work. I dont know why :oops: , or better i dont know what realy was the issue. I did not changed any components.

So its working and already installed in my studio.

/Marco

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

marco, good news.
I plan to put together a document for testing the kit so all you can make sure everything is working correctly. I've found I'm much too familiar with it myself so I take some things for granted, some of the guys have finished the kit but aren't sure they got it all working correctly! I also still owe you guys a Users manual. It's about 50% done, although I haven't worked on it in over 3 weeks. I will get to this soon. Thanks everyone for being patient, I've been slow to answer emails this past week. I'm determined to stay focused and finish this project to the end so no worries.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Looking forward to the testing and user manuals, thanks Brian!

Quick question - on page 33 of the manual, the orientation of Q417 is different than what's printed on board. Which is the correct way to place it?

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

dnigrin wrote:Looking forward to the testing and user manuals, thanks Brian!

Quick question - on page 33 of the manual, the orientation of Q417 is different than what's printed on board. Which is the correct way to place it?
Also, the orientation of Q403 (page 34) is likewise reversed. Which is the right way?

Thanks...

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi dnigrin,

i have finished my xoxio. and it seems to work =)

q417:
is for the led of the high resonance switch. I have used the board printed orientation here as well. Flat side west. Led is working with it.

q403:
i have used the orientation like ist printed on board. Flat side north. This part is used vor the VCO2. VCO2 is working fine. so i guess its the right one =)

/Marco

lord.bix

Post by lord.bix »

Hi Brian,

i think the most important to document, is the impact of the ENV2. This can lead in totaly wrong direction if its not set up right. I am even not sure if its working properly, but as soon as i know how to use what i have, i am ok with it.

I guess it would be good if you can post a test pattern, which is used for some test of the finished box and some pics with the tuning of the knobs in combination with a sound example. That would be the best i guess to understand the abilities of the box and if its "composed" the right way. I think its suffiecent if you handle the standard / recommended installation way for decay, becaus ei guess 90% of the ppl will implement it that way.

If you need some help with the compilation of the manuals, feel free to cantact me, i am willing to support.

EDIT:

I guess i still have a little Problem as well with ENV2. As soon as i turn down ENV2 VCF Depth to min the VCF is that tight closed, that i can not hear alomost anything. If i open it half way, and make the env to an always on state i get the original xox sound. Thats was the issue we were fighing against, i guess.

I guess as well, that i have a bad resistor or resistor value in some place. Or missing connection. As i remember it comes with the PAD U, connected to R47. So we should solve that issue =).

Do you have any idea, how? What should i measure to figure it out?
EDIT END

/Marco
Last edited by lord.bix on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

lord.bix wrote:q417:
is for the led of the high resonance switch. I have used the board printed orientation here as well. Flat side west. Led is working with it.

q403:
i have used the orientation like ist printed on board. Flat side north. This part is used vor the VCO2. VCO2 is working fine. so i guess its the right one =)
Yeah, I was assuming that the board-printed orientations were the correct ones, but was hoping for confirmation. Thanks Marco!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”