x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rv0

Re: x0xi0 Full Kit - Install & Troubleshooting

Post by rv0 »

bcbox wrote:They just laid off 63 of 78 product development & engineering staff at my day job! I'm one of 15 people lef tin the entire group, and it's a pretty big well known company. They moved BANNED to China.
wow crazy
glad you got to keep your job.

meanwhile, any ETA on the install manual for custom pcb?
i'm afraid to start soldering with it as by reading the v2.0 manual I already discovered some errors in my work that'll take a lot of effort to fix (like, clipping the legs of the push-switch, the power supply thing, ...)

crx091081gb

Post by crx091081gb »

Cheers Brian, that all makes me feel better. I have one more observation...

When I turn the xmod up high and set oscillator two to modulate oscillator one then the playing of notes above the e above middle c cause the oscillator to go very quiet, this can only be remedied by playing a much lower note or turning the unit off and on again. Do you get this behaviour or is this a mistake in my assembly?

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

any ETA on the install manual for custom pcb?
I don't have an ETA as I don't want to make promises I can't meet. It is in progress however and I hope very soon. I'm doing a lot of multi-tasking ;)
I did however extract a short briefing of important notes about using the custom PCB's and put into this document. Somehow Kevin (kvb) got his all assembled with just the regular install manual plus these notes.. I don't think he realized at first that there was a specific manual coming for the custom pcb's!
http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/downloads/x ... _notes.pdf
When I turn the xmod up high and set oscillator two to modulate oscillator one then the playing of notes above the e above middle c cause the oscillator to go very quiet, this can only be remedied by playing a much lower note or turning the unit off and on again. Do you get this behaviour or is this a mistake in my assembly?
Yes, this is normal, I found this early when developing but left it as is to allow more range of control, it only happens if you've got VCO2 tuned pretty high and the turn master tune high along with xmod or ENV2 to VCO. This can kick it right out of range and it gets stuck until you lower the vco freq to kick it back in. Nice find though, someone else emailed and asked the same question last week so I'm glad to see a lot of people are getting to know it really well :twisted:

crx091081gb

Post by crx091081gb »

Cheers, I think that means I can call my x0xi0 'normal'. Yeah I'm loving the mods, I use the beast most days in the evening so there's been plenty of exploring of all the new options, I know I'm still only scratching the surface though...

e:pp:ik

Post by e:pp:ik »

I couldn't bear it any longer! :)

I built the PSU for the custom board this afternoon. At least it's a start. If anyone's interested some details are posted on my blog below.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Yep, mine's been looking like that for a couple months now! Thank goodness I got swamped with other stuff, otherwise I'd be going a bit crazy now too at not having mine finished. Sounds like Brian's got his hands full with the day job now, but I'm sure he'll come to our rescue soon...

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

sorry guys, I'm not going anywhere just a bit busy lately. I will get to completing the instructions sooner than later!

It's understandable Brian. This kind of endeavor, particularly one as complex and overlapping as yours, is pretty involved. Documenting every step is probably the least fun out of this whole process! I have to do it in my line of work too so I understand why it takes time.

Like I said though ~ I couldn't bear it! :) I'm treading very lightly since I don't want to miss any unique steps that you may be lining up for each stage.

If any of you custom PCB buyers is interested I created a local version of the ladyada parts list. It highlights the custom xoxio replacements and omissions in the main list. it's really nothing fancy but I found it a useful additional help even for the PSU. It simply makes it super obvious that you need to refer to Brian's list for those specific parts. During the build I had the two parts lists open and the ladyada build page and that was a solid set of docs to cross reference the differences. If you need to solder C3 search the modded list. If it's highlighted go to Brian's list and find the replacement. It's *really nothing fancy* but it's something. I just posted the link on the blog. Feel free to review it too and I'll make any repairs where needed. Just let me know.

For me the real required early version doc is a list of the unique steps that overlap with the original build manual. If there's more to it than the PDF you already posted that would the most useful at this time. (Perhaps that's the point though; your mod and custom PCBs may rely on one another a great deal and need to be fully documented ... I'm just thinking aloud and making assumptions here ...). As far as I can tell testing for each stage can be done in a similar manner to the original. The jumpers are a bit different but it looks like that can still be achieved. The discussion earlier in the thread seems to be hinting at that.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Oh well, stored all the x0x stuff in a box and started with construction of 3 huge midibox sid synths.
That'll keep me busy long enough :D

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

@E:pp:ik - I did pretty much the same thing as you did. I just printed the Ladyada build manual, and then for each step that included placing a different part (or omitting a part), I made a notation in the margin.... This worked well for my first x0xi0, and I'm doing it again now for my second that's using the custom x0xb0x PCB's...

Well at least we all have a similar line of thinking :) I think I'll still proceed unless you think it's a really bad idea, Brian.

lorne in canada

Post by lorne in canada »

Brian: Got vco2 running and its still very highly tuned but it gets a nasty edge as a modulator which i like. The only biggie left is teh dead quiet headphone circuit, which worked before th upgrade. All i can think is that I am misisng a supply voltage connection. Where do I look for that or where does it pickup audio from teh mix out which is working. by teh way I expected more out of it than stock, but it has my jaw dropping, I wouldn't trade it for a minty tb-303, its insanely good.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

HI Lorne, I haven't checked in here in a couple days, did you get the headphones working?
Here's a pic...

1. Check the headphone supply voltage. This is the 6V from the 78L06 on the I/O board. All it does is powers the headphone amp & used as a reference voltage for the accent sweep out mod on the x0xi0 I/O board. Check it right at the headphone amp though. This is pin 7 of IC14. Should be 6V, if nothing then check pin 3 of J5, this is where the 6V goes from the x0xb0x I/O board to the mainboard.

2. The 2nd thing to check is to make sure you didn't take out an extra cap when installing the Mixer PCB kit. The only caps that should be removed from the x0xb0x mainboard are :
C52, C53, C56, C58, C59.
Make sure C40, C45 etc ..weren't removed by accident.

3. Same for the resistors. The ones that were removed were:
R136, R153, R154, R155, R156, R157, R158, R160, R161, R165.
Make sure none of the neighboring resistors that are part of the headphone amp circuit were removed, such as R159, R135.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Brian, any progress on the full install manual for the custom PCBs? Thx...

rv0

Post by rv0 »

he posted an update okt 6th

http://alphazone1.com/x0xi0/blog/?p=134

i guess we all have to be patient :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”