x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
analographi

Re: x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Post by analographi »

still waiting for mine here...

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Hi all,
one question Brian, about special board (main and in/out), is it same bom as standart boards ?
Thanks.
K.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

@kroutshev - Brian wrote me privately after I asked him the exact same question (for me the question was just for the custom x0xb0x main board). Here's what he said:

"The new mainboard is basically the same parts. The few different parts come with the mainboard.
These are the parts you don't need

SW1
S2
Heat sink (for IC20)
TM4
TM5
C14
C15
C17
C33
C42
Potentiometer knobs
Switch knobs
All standoffs
4-40 x 1/4" hex button
4-40 lock washer

also, I highly recommend using 1% 1/8W resistors for everything, it just makes it neater, lower profile, and less chance for problems."

Hope that helps...

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Thanks Dnigrin !
good news, the parts are very close x0xi0 full kit with standart mainboard !!
I'm very impressive, each time that Brian make something, he thought to include needed parts !!
He's very professionnall !

lorne in canada

Post by lorne in canada »

Got my full kit today. Thanks Brian!

indigenous

Post by indigenous »

I have had my kit for a week now....

Thanks brian :-)

K

reedlaw

Post by reedlaw »

I have a question for Brian:

Why did you do an entirely new x0x mainboard PCB and your x0xi0 PCB on top of that? Why not just design a single PCB that incorporates both the original x0x design and the x0xi0 improvements? I realize that the x0xi0 board overlaps much of the space on the original mainboard, but couldn't this be done with a single 4-layer PCB?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been contemplating redesigning the x0x PCBs in order to add improvements as well as simplify the build process. For example, the x0x sequencer uses five 74HC595 8-bit shift registers to control 40 LEDs. Why not use a single 40-bit or 64-bit shift register? It would save a lot of soldering as well as board space. Also, I'm all in favor of replacing the ATMega162 with at least a 64kb ATMega644, or perhaps even with an ARM. With more program space an memory, the x0x could do a lot more.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Why did you do an entirely new x0x mainboard PCB and your x0xi0 PCB on top of that? Why not just design a single PCB that incorporates both the original x0x design and the x0xi0 improvements? I realize that the x0xi0 board overlaps much of the space on the original mainboard, but couldn't this be done with a single 4-layer PCB?
Hi, it would be impossible with through hole components, not enough area to place the components. If it went to 100% surface mount it might be possible.
I think you could simplify with some consolidation, better spec'ing of parts, and especially SMD parts. However at this point the use of surface mount is still very much frowned upon by the diy community.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”