x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
netpusher

Re: x0xi0 Full mod kit - 2nd Run waiting list & Details

Post by netpusher »

Looks good! Can't wait Brian, Thanks!

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

As I wait for my second kit to arrive, I thought I would post some photos of my 1st run kit, which is now working perfectly. I had some issues with clicks that Brian recently sorted out; I think some of these things have made it into the instructions for the forthcoming 2nd run, and/or into the modified main x0xb0x board...

netpusher

Post by netpusher »

Got my kit today. Thanks Brian!
Looks like alphzone1 and the x0xi0 forum is not up yet. Can you let us know when the new install docs are up there?
Thanks!

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

I have shipped everyone's kit except those who are waiting for the custom x0xb0x PCB's. I also still have kits available if interested contact me and I should get back to you within a week (I don't always check my PM's unless I'm here posting).

The mainboard PCB came today and I started testing it. I'm happy to say that everything is great so far.
I uploaded a short video to show how it all looks and goes together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9m3rbp0L8

Also, the custom I/O board is coming next week.
I mentioned briefly before that I want to make a custom aluminum anodized enclosure for the Full mod kit.
When I made the custom PCB's (as well as the original x0xi0 PCB's) I had this in mind so I made the dimensions better and added some features. One of the main goals when thinking about a custom enclosure was to minimze the size, especially the width (front to back). You can see from my rendering that it's a good size. In order to get all this to fit I have to tightly stack all the PCB's. At the rear of the enclosure there is actually a stack of all (4) PCB's... x0xb0x I/O board, x0xi0 I/O board, x0xb0x mainboard, and x0xi0 top board. I laid out the custom I/O board to accept both stock x0xb0x parts and alternative low profile parts (mini din & 3.5mm audio jacks) to fit the proposed enclosure. If & when the enclosure happens there will be more details.

also, here's the rendering showing the relative size of the enclosure:

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Brian, the video showing how the new x0xb0x mainboard and x0xi0 top board go together is really exciting to me - the thought of all those fewer wire connections is really a nice one! One question though - will the headers that you showed in the video require soldering to both boards, or will there be "sockets" on one of the boards, to allow for them to be easily disconnected if necessary? The way you showed the two boards sandwiched together, I wasn't sure if there was going to be room...

Re: mini-DIN sockets for the new x0xb0x I/O board - do those accept standard MIDI plugs, or do you need to get a regular DIN to mini DIN converter cable? If so, that would be a drag.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

will the headers that you showed in the video require soldering to both boards, or will there be "sockets" on one of the boards
they will be soldered to both boards when complete.
Most of the testing will happen before they are soldered.
I just finished putting the whole thing together and I couldn't be happier. I took several pictures that will be used as part of the assembly and test procedure.
Re: mini-DIN sockets for the new x0xb0x I/O board - do those accept standard MIDI plugs
no, they take 6-pin mini-din like a PS2-style keyboard. The din and 1/4" jacks are too tall to get into an enclosure along with the x0xi0 I/O board above it and the other PCB's above that.. The enclosure would ship with adapters..(some would probably make their own midi/din to mini-din cables and skip the adapters)

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Got it, thanks for the info Brian!

lorne in canada

Post by lorne in canada »

Non-standard midi plugs sound like trouble for live work, they get lost, unfindable on the road etc. That one worries me. I'm already awash in custom cables. At least din and midi interchange, usually (not always).

analographi

Post by analographi »

Lorne in Canada wrote:Non-standard midi plugs sound like trouble for live work, they get lost, unfindable on the road etc. That one worries me. I'm already awash in custom cables. At least din and midi interchange, usually (not always).
same here, but same problem with the totaly uncommon power supply for the xox anyways... this machine is the "live-killer".. unfortuntately... it's a studio machine.. I'm still having my 303 on the road all the time, cause I can run it on batteries and it is smaller.
xox in studio only. for now.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

I had a day off today and got caught up on a couple machines I have in for fixing.
Whenever I finish a machine I always record something when I'm done.
This sample is from AngreyChef's full x0xi0 kit.
It's just the one x0xi0 kit with a 909, and also makes use of the SokkOS firmware.
It uses many of the mod features
- both VCO's
- VCO sync
- overdrive
- filter tracking
- noise generator
- oscillator cross modulation
- Envelope 2 to VCF and VCA (sometimes triggered by accents, non-accents, or slides)
- VCA envelope
- hi resonance
- accent decay

lorne in canada

Post by lorne in canada »

That's one lucky angrychef. Kicked in the subs at this end. That convinced nme to take out my shrill resonance mod.

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

That is awesome! I am absolutely stoked to pick that mean machine up! High fives for everyone! :D

loneraver

Post by loneraver »

so I got a guy who work at my internship who loooooves building synth kits to build my kit for me so, I'm going to have him do if for me. I'm having my parents ship it to me. (that is no small thing, since I am currently living in Europe and my x0xb0x kit in now in the US)

However, I was wondering about the documentation. Last I heard, Brian was was working on the documentation but I haven't heard any updates.

Don't take this as me being a jerk or pushy, just that I'm suuuuuuuuuper excited, as this is my first VCO synth!!! And I missed the last official x0xb0x run by only a month. Brian, you are up there with my geeky heroes!
Including, Paul Debevec, Johnny Chung Lee, Kevin Rose, Matrixsynth guy (whoever he is), WC Olo Garb (Jexus on youtube) and Tim Schaefer.

olga42

Post by olga42 »

My kit arrived in Stockholm today! Many thanks for the fast shipping. This will be some good, unclean fun not for the family-oriented :twisted:

Vytantus

Post by Vytantus »

Got my kit today! thanks so much Brian!

and keep on the website, I wana see that thing up and running :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”