...pretty much all the parts are in and I've already spent some time packing kits.
The only part that is late is the Sifam knobs for the two rotary encoders. If they don't come in the next 10 days I'll simply ship the kits without them and send them separately by first class mail.
Ive been busy with the documentation, new mainboard, and website.
The mainboard is taking longer than I thought it would to layout. Below is a pic of the progress. If you're building a x0xb0x from scratch this custom mainboard is essential. It eliminates (30) wire connections, vastly simplifying the build. This is the result of my master plan, which was to align the pinheads/pads on the x0xi0 top PCB with the new custom mainboard. This way the connections are made with simple pinheads. It'll be more obvious in a couple weeks when the parts come in. In making a new mainboard I also wanted to achieve a few more things...
- I took about 18mm off the bottom of the PCB so that it will fit in a custom case much better without a large bare space on the bottom (a custom enclosure looks kind of funny with all the unused space on bottom)
- I situated the VCO to the left a little so that it is right below VCO2 (and farthest away from power supply) so that they make track even better with temperature.
- I added an SPI interface so there's another way to program the microcontroller.
- I moved the analog circuitry as far away from digital as possible and isolated the ground planes.
- I moved the VCA circuitry to a less vulnerable (noise) area on the PCB.
- I still kept the same general layout for all parts just like the 303/x0xb0x.
- I added a trimpot and resistor to the VCA circuit for adjusting the DC offset of the VCA +/-5mV.
Besides the custom mainboard I've been working on the website. I'm trying to keep it simple. All of the documentation will be kept there along with other stuff. There's a sample pic of the website below as well.