Resonance boost...

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
buddax

Resonance boost...

Post by buddax »

Just did a resonance boost mod, while in there to do the filter-range mod. Just thourght id post a audio example.

So i replaced R97, it's 10K ohms default, to an 8K2 ohom. And this is what i got. After the "resonance" voice, it's resonance boost on!

http://stuff.omgpwn.dk/x0x/resonance-boost.mp3

quango

Re: Resonance boost...

Post by quango »

Nice, sounds like the freaking birds outside my window when they get going :P. Have to do this mod yet myself. Did you put it on a switch or just straight swap out the resistor?

isak

Post by isak »

Hi quango

you can do it with or without a switch :) its like the mod is off when the pot is all the way down.
have fun

Isak ;)

buddax

Post by buddax »

yeah, used a switch...

julienvoirin

Post by julienvoirin »

use a multiturn 10k trimpot ; so that you adjust to what sounds good (there is enough place to replace R97)

quango

Post by quango »

Sorry to sound like a noob (thats what I am though with this kind of stuff :lol: ) but when you say put a 10k trimpot in there. Would that basically be taking the resistor out altogether and bringing a 10k (linear or log) pot out to the front panel and wiring it straight to the holes where the resistor was? or am I way off

textile

Post by textile »

quango wrote:Sorry to sound like a noob (thats what I am though with this kind of stuff :lol: ) but when you say put a 10k trimpot in there. Would that basically be taking the resistor out altogether and bringing a 10k (linear or log) pot out to the front panel and wiring it straight to the holes where the resistor was? or am I way off
No not a pot , a trimpot , I would suggest a multi turn , as these allow a stable/precise control . Plus it would allow for an easy mod as well.
The one I am talking about is a 3296W type. Little rectangle box with a little gold screw on top. Just type in 3296W 10k , mouser has them and just about anyone else worth buying from.

If you replace the resistor in question with a trimpot you can adjust it until you have the resonance you desire , instead of just screaming . Which some might like...

Just cut off one pin , keeping the middle and an outer one and pop it straight in.
You will see what I am talking about if you see the trimpot. You could do it with a 3386p type but the 3296w is the best bet. A 'normal' type would be messy .

Looks like it should be redrawn into the board.

charlie_says

Post by charlie_says »

I did this mod with a pot... probably not ideal, but means I can tweak it in reference to the use on other mods...

JRock

Post by JRock »

i didn't use a pot cause I' pretty new to this but I found even 9.1k was a little too much after I adjusted the res with TM3. I had to put TM3 all the way up after the low filter cutoff mod. Seems like when I turn the res down and turn the cutoff all the way down it must go subsonic cause I can't hear much. Hopefully 9.4k will do the trick. I just ran 2 4.7k resistors in serial...

antto

Post by antto »

i'm bumping this just to say what i did here..
instead of removing R97 i soldered 2 100k resistors in addition
this probably isn't the right way, but here's what my calculations tell me:
10k (the original resistor) and 200k is equivalent to a single 9.5k resistor
now the x0x has just enough reso to sound like my friend's 303 ;P~ and it doesn't whistle like a bird (which is ugly to my ears) :roll:

buddax

Post by buddax »

The "right" way is prolly to get a multi-turn pot, on of them small ones. Then just replace R97 and glue it the PCB, and adjust it to you liking... more flexible, and no ugly switches/knobs on the outside... and yes, 8.2K is way to low :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”