Clock for Sequencer ?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
textile

Clock for Sequencer ?

Post by textile »

Can anyone help , I would like to sync the sequencer with an external logic clock and send a clock signal .
Can this be done on the board or does it have to be written in.
How does the DIN work?

Luap

Re: Clock for Sequencer ?

Post by Luap »

You just need midi for this.. No din sync.

You can do this either way.
With the x0x in Pattern (sync out) mode, it sends out midi clock signals which you can instruct Logic to use.
Or use Pattern (midisync) mode on your x0xb0x if you want it to use Logics clock. You'll need to tell Logic to send it this, and out to which midi port (if you have more than one).
It's pretty easy. But check the Logic manual if in doubt. It s quite well explained there..

textile

Post by textile »

Oh yes I should of gone into more depth :D

:arrow:
I am needing a true clock signal 0-5v (or 0-dc) a Pulse .
So the sequencer can send and receive a basic logic signal .To sync to a modular / old style sequencer.

(from memory) On the tb-303 the clock signal is generated via a 4013 flip flop then sent to the uC .
On the x0x it is generated within the micro.

I am not to sure on the DIN syncs' operation, but I am thinking that this is the place to look.
Can anyone enlighten me on DIN or point me towards some information?

a redesign is in the process - if there needs to be extra circuitry .

textile

Post by textile »

&
I need to divide from 24ppqn .
Here is an example from Mr Blacet's site http://www.blacet.com/MSfig4.gif this is for reading the digital incoming and convert it to a pulse.
I will try this.

Can anyone think of a way to do this in the firmware ? it would need to read out going midi/din clock pulse(24ppqn) and convert it into a pulse
+Would the seq have problems when you stop the master clock , would it need a stop/run signal ?
Are there any spare ports on the mega?

Would anyone use this feature?
Do any users have a modular seq they would like to sync to their x0xb0x or do you just use a midi to cv.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

I use a CR-8000 for this purpose. I just send it DIN-sync from one of my x0xb0xes and it will spit out 16ths.

I would try to build a little circuit based on the DIN-sync pulse if I had no CR-8000. Divide by 6 is what you need, isn't it? DIN-sync is 24ppq(pulses per quarter note) and you want 4 pulses per quarter note. You really just need a CD4018 for that, the datasheet will tell you how to use it. You just need the clock pulse from the DIN-sync jack and feed power to the 4018. Maybe you need to buffer the output, I do not know. You could probably just glue it to the inside of the back panel and drill a hole for the 16ths jack.

If you want to do it in firmware you have to lose something else.

textile

Post by textile »

Thanks!
I am designing a new unit, so this circuit will be included on the board . I will be doing some tests a bit later , I will tell of the results.

After a bit of research converting the din looks to be the easiest way .

textile

Post by textile »

Ok , on the tb303 schematic it looks as this is the way.
The tempo clock from the onboard osc produces a pulse ( by looking at the values it would run at 'normal' clock speeds) then it is divided via the flip flop and sent to the uC and out to the din tempo clock pin '3'. Correct?

If thats the case those who have a 303 can tap into this for syncing to older pre-din sequencers. (?) Test it :arrow:

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

I just had to try using a 4018 for this, worked very well, runs off the 5V line and just tapping into the DIN-sync clock:
4018+358
4018+358
synch.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 3918 times

textile

Post by textile »

Ace Sokkan!
I still am waiting on some of these chips, I live out of town and have to order parts in.

:arrow: There is an easier way that was looking at me in the face , well blinking. The Tempo LED . Just tap in with a transistor switch with either +5v clock or +12v/+10v Clock pulse. , add further narrowing and or pos/neg edge trigger if required . One could then send it to a clock divider if a different timing is needed.

Tapping the DINsync will be accurate but I gather the pulse for the tempo led is on time, yeah? Since it comes from the uC I'd say it is accurate enough :arrow: Can someone verify this.

Clearly though to make the sequencer accept a clock pulse is a different matter. Although one can just use the x0x sequencer as the master that is connected to the MIDI sync chain, so accepting a pulse clock is not needed then.
Thanks for all your input!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”